Cheap, Easy, Low Light Plants?

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Had some wood design cardboard that you nail to the back of a shelf or something. Decided to go with it. The little brown rectangle is to block the filter. It gives off a reflection .

IMG_0719.JPG

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ background color will come down to personal preference, but both niether looks bad for a temporary fix...

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
A little late now, but for plants you can always go and see what is growing in your local lake/pond/stream. I rinse those plants well, then soak in water with a drop of bleach, rinse again, and soak in water/prime to remove bleach. You don't want stowaways. They can kill your fish. Trial and error, if you lose some plants, well they were free... I personally have had consistently better luck with wild plants than store bought ones.
I use a yeast reactor made of pvc pipe and an old t12 and some light from the window on a 55.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Is your yeast co2 reactor going day and night? I'm making one right now out of a Masson jar :)
Gunna sip from that mason jar I bet.... ehehehe.
A little late now, but for plants you can always go and see what is growing in your local lake/pond/stream. I rinse those plants well, then soak in water with a drop of bleach, rinse again, and soak in water/prime to remove bleach. You don't want stowaways. They can kill your fish. Trial and error, if you lose some plants, well they were free... I personally have had consistently better luck with wild plants than store bought ones.
I use a yeast reactor made of pvc pipe and an old t12 and some light from the window on a 55.
Hmm, maybe i should try this with those nano tanks. Not sure where I would go though around here, the stream nearby seemed empty of water plants at a glance last time I went hiking.

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
That's actually a good idea, just a lot of work. In my local area we have nastier weeds and such. A lot of algae too. But it is a good idea :)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
In my local area we have nastier weeds and such. A lot of algae too
"Nastier Stuff" means it will grow faster. Great for when you start a tank, and you can always pull it out late if it becomes a pain to trim. Faster growth also gives you better filtration from those plants.
the stream nearby seemed empty of water plants at a glance last time I went hiking.
The winter is still ending. More plants are available in the summer. Be careful though, some plants are legally protected, and I'm not sure if you can take anything from a state/national park.
I also do well with the wild aquatic mosses. I give them the same treatment as the plants and they are abundant in almost every steam I've ever seen. fisheatfish has an awesome moss wall, I intend to copy it one of these days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store