Cholla Wood Question

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
So I got some cholla wood from and began soaking it to prep for aquaria, I left it over night and the next day (today) it had sunk, but it had an ammonia smell after just over 24 hours. On inspection one piece had become very soft and almost mushy, seems like a lot of softer organic material while the other was very ridged and woodlike, is the mushy one the source of the ammonia as I think it is, and would it be a smarter move to simply take this one out and keep it in a terreium, or because it is mushy completely dry to avoid rot in a desert terrarium or shelf?

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
I would just throw it away, it sounds like its been soaked for a long time before and has become rotten

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Thanks for the heads up I was thinking about buying a whole bunch of that and now I will pass

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
Is this why it is relatively unpopular, I know shrimp keepers, use, but besides that I don't see much in aquascapes, and know I have seen someone on a forum say it was rarely used

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Very soft wood that breaks down quickly in acidic environments. I use it for my shrimp tank, but will end up discarding after a couple months as it softens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store