Cichlids + _____?

professa19

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Greetings MFK!

Starting up a 125 gallon after a 5 year hiatus of it accumulating dust in my basement. I've loved CA/SA cichlids forever, and this community of fellow CA/SA enthusiasts has been so entertaining and informational.

HOWEVER, my question is, while starting up a new tank, what fish could I INITIALLY put in the 125 that are hearty (for a start up tank), and would be quick enough, or eventually grow large enough, to evade cichlids or that they would essentially just have no interest in?

I personally love denison barbs, but have read that they are slow growers, and are extremely expensive when large. I love schooling fish, so maybe that would be the route? Giant Danios?

Do any of you fellow CA/SA lovers have community fish swimming with juvenile cichlids? I realize this may have been better in the general discussion forum, but I assumed this is more related to the CA/SA cichlids killing the community fish, and would be best here. Some species names to look into would be greatly appreciated and Any pics or videos of your community fish with fellow cichlids would be AWESOME.

JUVENILE Cichlids I plan to grow out in the 125: Festae, Haitian cichlid, Pike Cichlid

Thanks!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
What centrals or South Americans are youbthunkingbof keeping. Build around them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although there are always exceptions, I find Nandopsis haitiensus doesn't do well with any other cichlid in a tank. When young, they usually bloat up and die if they can't kill whatever is placed with them, and they also need warmer temps than most other cichlids.
Temps in the mid to upper 80s help to keep them healthy. They are the only endemic cichlid to to Haiti and the Dominican Republic, which may account for their loner status,and where freshwater temps remain quite high (almost 90'F) which often is a condition that causes bacterial infections in many mainland cichlids.
I learned these lessons the hard way, losing my first dozen to bloat in a normal temp cichlid community, and another almost half dozen, until I read the article by Alf Stalsberg
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=55
After bumping up temps and removing all other cichlids, I had a nice 5 year run with spawning haitiensus, it was a rough road losing my first 19 of 20 not adhering to their special needs

I also found 125 gal only really large enough for a pair
Also, if you google water temps in the area rivers where cichlids such as festae are found, average water temps hover in the mid 70sF, suggesting they don't make good tankmates for haits, and the higher temps seem to enhance aggression in those species making a cichlid community tank less likely to succeed.

Last edited:

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
my question is, while starting up a new tank, what fish could I INITIALLY put in the 125 that are hearty (for a start up tank), and would be quick enough, or eventually grow large enough, to evade cichlids or that they would essentially just have no interest in?
!
I sincerely hope you aren't going to do fish-in cycling. Some die-hard traditionalists may disagree, but if fish welfare is the priority, fishless cycling is the way to go.

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
I find that most cichlids I've kept have no problem living with bichirs. Even the most aggressive specimens just ignore them maybe a small chase here or there.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store