clay pellets in sump?

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
i want to know what you guys think about clay pellets just got into hydroponics as well and have a huge bag left over. i took down my 300 gallon reef tank and wanted my discus and Arowana back in my like after 4 years.(corals sold nice). But with my sump set up, my first chamber wiil be filter floss extra (second pic) the long run you see going into the last chamber before the first pic was a refugium. blocked it off and will be a moving bed setup. the last chamber before the pump i would like to add the pellets. even if i dont grow plants in it will it help the tank? also i hope you like the sump build it was 80$ and its a 65 gallon sump not perfect but shoot!!!!! 72'' 28''12'' 1/2 pvc broad so a 8' sheet by 4'' is maybe 100$ today!(save your money people and buy silver haha)

IMG_20210721_231333.jpg

IMG_20210721_231310.jpg

IMG_20210721_231411.jpg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
If you will put clay in the last section before the pump, you will end up with an enormous amount of clay sediment in the last section and getting sucked into the pump.

Clay might support bacteria to some degree, but it can also form layers where oxygenation does not work and you could end up getting septic bacteria.

Just because you have got clay left over, does not mean that you should put it anywhere.

I have always had best success with pumice (lava) in sumps.

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
If you will put clay in the last section before the pump, you will end up with an enormous amount of clay sediment in the last section and getting sucked into the pump.

Clay might support bacteria to some degree, but it can also form layers where oxygenation does not work and you could end up getting septic bacteria.

Just because you have got clay left over, does not mean that you should put it anywhere.

I have always had best success with pumice (lava) in sumps.
What would you think if I put the clay balls before the second to last chamber? (Will drill sump wall so water can travel though the bottom.)

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
What would you think if I put the clay balls before the second to last chamber? (Will drill sump wall so water can travel though the bottom.)
Dunno. Have never used Hydroton. Is it clay as such or has it been fired so that it is ceramic? If the latter, then it will probably be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store