Cleaning Arowana Tank - HELP!

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Sounds like the sump is great but more work and more potential for failure. With 6 fish or less in 300gallons it seems like a sump is more overkill than 2 legit canisters. Has anyone really had terrible results from two FX6's??? Ahhh

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I understood perfectly. There was nothing wrong with your explanation. You were comparing FX6 plus a small filter to an Eheim 2622. I quoted that because neither combo is excessive filtration. The Eheim has quite the flow I agree....Regardless, as you mentioned, you had no problem with water quality when using cannisters....

I currently have 3 canister filters, 20l each, total 60 litres. I can surely squeeze 30l ofmedia amongst them.....As I said, its the extra water volume that matters, the media is plenty in either scenario and extra water volume can be achieved with a larger tank and less fish.

That's exactly the picture I was looking at.
Wether the combo or lone eheim is expressive or not is irrelevant. What i am saying is the eheim out performed the fx6 which had the help of an ac110. Asides from the eheim having more flow the fx6 is riddled withe bypass and if you follow the manufacturers recommendations how much bio does this filter actually hold?

I'll ask again what canisters are you using ?

Op could use a bunch of cans or a sump, he can be restricted to the gph of a can and the maximum amount of bio the cans can hold, along with having all of the gear visible in the display tank, and the lug around cans spending time squeezing out foam where as this would not take place with a sump. A pair of decent dc pumps will provide more gph than most will need but give him the flexibility to raise/lower it with the touch of a button

Asides from arguing with me over my dislike of the fx6 why not atleast comment on the other aspects a sump can provide that we have mentioned ? If not id rather not continue to derail this thread with pointless arguing if you have any valid points on why he SHOULDNT use the sump then by all means we would all be open to hear them

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If I'm only keeping one Arowana, four discus and potentially a ray; am I really going to have bad water quality and clarity with two FX6's and a solid water change regiment. As long as I'm on top of cleaning the canisters (which is simple as unlatching the top and pulling out a basket) how can I go wrong? I was told I was going to be almost over filtering when I bought them now you guys are scaring the **** out of me.
I would do some research on those fish. Discus should be kept in groups of six or more, and shouldn't be kept with fish that can stress them out, the arowana.

As far as the filters, I think they will be ok, at least while your fish are young. As they grow you will probably want to add another one, maybe even two canisters to the tank. Both arowana and rays are very high waste producers. This means that the ammonia they put into the water could actually build up slightly in the tank before it has a chance to run through the filter and get converted into nitrate. This isn't a very big deal for many fish but you have chosen rays and discus, which are both about as sensitive as you can get in the freshwater aquarium hobby. So, the canisters will probably work decently, but a sump would still be a very large improvement.

I am really not trying to discourage you in any way. If I hadn't experienced this for myself between my canisters and my sump I wouldn't be recommending it so strongly. I know that canisters are so easy to look at and set up, and I questioned myself several times during the course of setting up my sump whether or not I should just ditch the sump and go with canisters, and I'm so glad I followed through with the sump. Maintenance on them is so much easier.

Keep in mind, just because the filter, no matter what kind it is, has captured the organic material, it still decomposes and puts ammonia in the water. The only way to stop this is to remove this organic material. In a canister, this doesn't happen until you clean out the canister. In a sump, this can easily be done much more often, some even do it daily. With a good filter sock setup, you can easily change the filter socks in mere minutes and can change them daily, if you wanted.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Sounds like the sump is great but more work and more potential for failure. With 6 fish or less in 300gallons it seems like a sump is more overkill than 2 legit canisters. Has anyone really had terrible results from two FX6's??? Ahhh
Im not trying to sway you because i like sumps just think if you post the question in the set up amd filtration section you will get an overwhelming support for sumps. Lots of ray amd aro keepers frequent that section.

Also you can do a little fact checking instead of listening to us. Look up how much bio media and fx6 can hold. Then take a look at all the those trays, think all the water is hitting all the foam pads ?

Then look at all the pads. Does it look like something that will be easy to clean and remove those organics Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis mentioned.

Good luck with the set up hope it goes smoothly

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also if your dead set on filters i'd much rather go with a 2262. Holds more bio and 0 bypass. Dirty water has to hit all levels of filtration

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Also if your dead set on filters i'd much rather go with a 2262. Holds more bio and 0 bypass. Dirty water has to hit all levels of filtration
**** it im getting a sump I hate you guys. Once and for all what is your opinion on the best way to set up the actual intake outake so it's least visible in the tank but still effective?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1937.JPG

I drilled the back of my tank and used black pvc overflows and returns. I then painted the back of my tank black and they blend in very well and leave the entire bottom of the tank open. One drawback is that I have to keep my tank about 6" away from the wall, but that is completely fine with me.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
J jaws7777 . And Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis you guys put it so much nicer than me! You sold me on sumps and I already use them!! I'm sure GoldFinger GoldFinger will be thanking you guys in a few months when his stock is healthy and his maintenance routine is simple and easy!

Reactions: jaws7777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I am new to the sump game, but for me it came down to cost vs benefit. I was able to put together a sump for under $200 that adds approx 40 gallons to my system and has a max flow rate equal to around 5 FX6 canisters or $2000 worth. I am only running a single dc pump rated at 3,900 gph so there is no built in redundancy, but I plan on just ordering a spare to have on hand since they are relatively inexpensive. The only time I would worry about the system not operating is if I was out of town or an extended power outage. I am not a ray keeper (yet), but unless the tank is overstocked water quality should not be an issue in a single day. The single DCT 15000 I have uses 105W max while each FX6 uses 43W of power. I am not knocking canisters at all but in reality you are at just as great or greater risk of a flood with a canister than a properly set up sump system. I have a single fx6 on a 125 and have no complaints, J jaws7777 just has dirty fish.

Edit: I should add that the 125 also has an ac110 and until recently only housed a single fish.

Last edited:

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
**** it im getting a sump I hate you guys. Once and for all what is your opinion on the best way to set up the actual intake outake so it's least visible in the tank but still effective?
No, no, you should go canisters...;-) j/k
I have known people with HOB and canister filters that were successful keeping large aros. So I would say it could work for you too. But that doesnt mean it's your best option.

I have one lei aro, two BP and two small plecos and prefer a sump. I dont consider having a sump because of the price value of the fish. My fish are NOT expensive. I like sumps for their function, flexibility and convenience. Not to mention I can put all my equipment there rather than in my peninsula style display tank.

Since you are going custom, why not coast to coast with dual internal overflows. Toss up between BA or Herbie drains, really.

I would suggest you research a bit on drain methods, plumbing, overflow and sumps and ask questions. Don't just take our word for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store