Cleaning Arowana Tank - HELP!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Your best bet would be to post this in the filtration section. Take your time, ask tons of questions then ask more questions regarding the answers you received from the 1st questions hahahaha im tired so that might not make sense but ASK ALLOT OF QUESTIONS lol the guys on that section are a class act and will all pitch in and get you up to speed

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I am new to the sump game, but for me it came down to cost vs benefit. I was able to put together a sump for under $200 that adds approx 40 gallons to my system and has a max flow rate equal to around 5 FX6 canisters or $2000 worth. I am only running a single dc pump rated at 3,900 gph so there is no built in redundancy, but I plan on just ordering a spare to have on hand since they are relatively inexpensive. The only time I would worry about the system not operating is if I was out of town or an extended power outage. I am not a ray keeper (yet), but unless the tank is overstocked water quality should not be an issue in a single day. The single DCT 15000 I have uses 105W max while each FX6 uses 43W of power. I am not knocking canisters at all but in reality you are at just as great or greater risk of a flood with a canister than a properly set up sump system. I have a single fx6 on a 125 and have no complaints, J jaws7777 just has dirty fish.

Edit: I should add that the 125 also has an ac110 and until recently only housed a single fish.
That is a good point. With a sump, only a small amount of water can be lost due to leakage/malfunction...a canister hose comes off or leaks and you drain half your tank on to the floor! Never really thought of that.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
That is a good point. With a sump, only a small amount of water can be lost due to leakage/malfunction...a canister hose comes off or leaks and you drain half your tank on to the floor! Never really thought of that.
I have only had minor leaks with canisters from the motor unit not seating properly, but the potential is definitely there. I don't really get worked up about leaks since in reality I am way more dangerous with my python than any other piece of equipment I own. Also out of 26 tanks, some very old, I have only had one leak and it was a very slow leak, so imo that is pretty much a non issue with a sump as well. I would have to say that installing a couple of canisters would be much easier on an existing tank, I am not about to go drill holes in everything to run sumps, but if I was having a large tank built I would definitely have it built with overflows.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I'll ask again what canisters are you using ?
I use these underrated old boys. My first one of them is 6 years old now and hasn't had even the o-ring changed yet, still running.

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/external/2000lh-efx/

Specs:

Suitable for Tanks up to 1000 Litres
Flow Rate: 2000 Litres per Hour
Hose size: 25mm / 1" Outside, 18mm / 0.7" Inside Diameter
Hose length 1.8 Metres
Water Volume: 20 Litres (Approx)
Media baskets x 4
Height Max: 2 Metres
Power: 55w
Dimensions: 290 x 290 x 490mm / 11.4" x 11.4" x 19.3"

I was able to put together a sump for under $200 that adds approx 40 gallons to my system and has a max flow rate equal to around 5 FX6 canisters or $2000 worth. I am only running a single dc pump rated at 3,900 gph so there is no built in redundancy
FX6s have 924G/H flow rate pump. 5 of them are 4620G/H. To match your pump one needs 4 of them. FXs are not known to leak and from all the equipment I've ever used filters are the most reliable. I changed 2 leaking tanks over the last few years and my old filters are still running. FXs do not hold that much media though. They're mostly about the flow.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I'm considering doing an internal coast to coast with the bean animal method now. Just need to figure out if the custom aquarium guys will make one out of glass or if I can by a plastic one online to my specs or something. I would need black tinted glass I guess or it would be visible. Also with CtC would the returns be still through the back and the front of the overflow box so it goes right through I guess? Would you put them on either end and point one more across the surface from far right to left and the the other one from the far left pointing down to create a proper current? Thanks guys

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I recomend using locline for your returns. You can point them any direction and adjust as needed. Something you should look into anyway. They come bright blue and orange, but you can paint them black with krylon fusion

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
FX6s have 924G/H flow rate pump. 5 of them are 4620G/H. To match your pump one needs 4 of them. FXs are not known to leak and from all the equipment I've ever used filters are the most reliable. I changed 2 leaking tanks over the last few years and my old filters are still running. FXs do not hold that much media though. They're mostly about the flow.
AQUARIUM CAPACITY | UP TO 1500 L (400 US GAL)

Item # : A219

UPC : 015561102193

For fresh and saltwater aquariums up to 1500 L (400 US Gal)

Flow Rate: 2130 L (563 US GAL) PER HOUR

Pump Output: 3500 L/H (925 US G/H)

Mechanical Area: 2,100 CM² (325.5 IN²)

Media Basket Capacity: 5.9 L (1.5 US GAL)

Filtration Volume: 20 L (5.28 US GAL)

Head Height (max.): 3.3 M (10.8 FT)

Wattage: 120V/60HZ – 43 W AND 230-240V/50HZ – 41 W

Dimensions (L x W x H): 40 X 40 X 53 CM (15.75 X 15.75 X 20.8 IN)

Not to split hairs, but the pump capacity and flow rate are not the same once you add media and head height. I based my statement off the the 563 gph and my estimated max flow for the sump of 2500 gph @ 2.75 meter head height. I am in no way knocking canisters and for my applications they are fine and have more than adequate media capacity. In fact I will probably only run my pump at about 60% and was going to suggest to GoldFinger GoldFinger that he could plumb the FX6 cans into the tank overflows since he already has them, but I still think he should have the tank built sump ready. I don't keep rays so I can't say from experience, but after seeing the extremes some go to to protect their investment and their reputation for extremely high ammonia production, I would actually use a sump and the canisters. Not that the op would want touse this, but my sump is a 55 gallon hdx plastic tote that is not very likely to leak any time in the near future.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
0408171936.jpg Plastic totes make great "budget" sumps...I've never heard of one springing a leak! I built a 50 gallon sump from a tote, used a smaller tote set thru the lid of the larger one to hold filter media. Very high capacity and very efficient. I actually run a series of discus breeding and grow out tanks with this sump. Only spent about $150 on this set up including the 2200 gpg pump!

Reactions: DN328 and robham777

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I use these underrated old boys. My first one of them is 6 years old now and hasn't had even the o-ring changed yet, still running.

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/external/2000lh-efx/

Specs:

Suitable for Tanks up to 1000 Litres
Flow Rate: 2000 Litres per Hour
Hose size: 25mm / 1" Outside, 18mm / 0.7" Inside Diameter
Hose length 1.8 Metres
Water Volume: 20 Litres (Approx)
Media baskets x 4
Height Max: 2 Metres
Power: 55w
Dimensions: 290 x 290 x 490mm / 11.4" x 11.4" x 19.3"

Ahh, so you're using an AquaTop/Sun Sun canister. No doubt that they are extremely underrated for canisters. It looks like you have the 304B model. I have one size smaller than that, 303B, for my 29 gallon tank. I will have to say that the flow rate on these filters is far overrated. For instance, my 303B is rated at 375gph, but after media is put in, it is probably flowing no more than 200-225gph. I would trust my 303B on aquariums up to 55 gallons, although I would rather have a 304B for a 55. I would trust a single 304B on a tank up to 125 gallons, if it was lightly stocked.

One thing I would like to point out is that the water volume of the filter is not the same as how much media it will hold. For instance, robham777 robham777 posted the specs for the FX6 and it also has a 20L water volume, but it then advertises a media volume of 5.9L. The filter you posted advertises a water volume of 20L also, but does not advertise a media volume. I would think that by design, your filter will probably hold more than an FX6, but not anything near 20L. My 55 gallon sump, on the other hand, can hold as much media as I can fit into 3/4 of a standard 55 gallon aquarium, if I needed to. It would take a lot of your filters or FX6's to handle an equivalent capacity. I can also setup my middle chamber for a refugium for injured fish or some type of feeders. Or, I could turn it into a moving bed filter and use K1. Neither of those are options with canisters. I do think that the filter you posted is a good filter, but I don't think it's performing as well as or holding as much media as you think it is. None the less, it is still doing a good job, but I still maintain my original opinion that a sump is a big upgrade over canisters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store