Clown loaches...Is 4f diameter round plastic pond - 240G polyehtylene

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I am totally devastated. I just found one of my older clown loaches dried up on the floor :( At least I measured him, 4.5 inches/12cm from nose to tail. Poor thing...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks Wailua Boy.

I just lured the rest of them out with some food. I don't know if its any consolation or not but the loach that jumped is my 2 year old loach and not one of the 5 year olds.

I opened him up too. I just couldn't let go without knowing :( He was a boy. :( I hand fed him when he was a baby and spent lots of time on powerfeeding him when he was in quarantine. :( He spent the last 2 years in open top tanks and that's the first jump of a grown clown loach I've experienced. I wonder what startled him to do quite the leap to get out...It seems it must have happened early today as he was very dry and hard. They've got the habit of dancing for food in the morning and he must have gotten startled somehow as they hate hitting the surface of the water otherwise.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Mine get excited at feeding time and will get close enough to the surface to splash water when they change direction and swim back down. One fish must've miscalculated big time because he or she launched completely out of the water and hit me in the face. So, it can happen...

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Yes, it can happen as I found out :( They didn't bother jumping out when they spent two months in an open top plastic container 30cm tall or so while I was transitioning tanks....They don't normally jump and I was relying on that, the fool I am...

What bothers me is that he jumped out of the side where I feed them. Its a round tank so he could have jumped out any side but I found him right in front.. I dropped food in the morning just before I left from the same side. I normally feed them when I get up and if he jumped out because of excitement for food, I may had been there....Once they nibble all from the substrate they normally come back and start begging for more. It must have happened early as he was long gone when I came home.

He was chunky and fat and a relatively fast growing loach. Also, because he was younger, he also ventured out a lot more often than his older companions and stayed with the baby loaches who are out all the time, and this could have been another reason for him to launch out. The water level is never up to the top, so it must have been a big jump.

This is one of the times I wish I could turn back the clock and re-live it again :(

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
I admit that I sometimes am lazy in closing the top off. Yes in my case, they haven't jumped. But I have heard of cases where they do. And now that you have a jumper, I will design a cover for clown aquarium. So sorry Cory.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I ordered a pond net as its all I could find. I'll have to see if it does the job. It's not very fine. Temporarily, on the side of where I feed the fish, and where the clown jumped from, I've partially covered with a plastic lid from a plastic tub. I've noticed the fish spent majority of their time on this side because I drop the food there...

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Good idea, I've noticed most of the time when my clowns hit the lid there is a pellet or 2 floating. Maybe it's just the normal clown over exuberance to get to food. I know they've bit my hands enough going for the bloodworms.

By the way, sorry to hear you lost one. That sucks big time. A few years ago I had a heater stick on and killed 4 of my first loaches. I enjoyed watching them so much it hurt pretty bad, almost swore them off. Luckily a guy gave up 6 medium loaches that were really thin and I got them at a great price.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store