Clown loaches...Is 4f diameter round plastic pond - 240G polyehtylene

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Yes, it hurts very bad....one more bad fish memory as if I don't have enough :(

Yes, I think it happened sometime in the morning judging by the dry and hard body I found, probably soon after I fed them and left in a hurry. I normally sink the food with my hand to make it sink immediately but when in a hurry, I just dump some food and lots ends up floating. I think something like this could have been the reason the clown made it so far up. They do squabble for food in the morning as they're very hungry then. I am still not fully over it yet and didn't look inside the tank until yesterday's water change.

It is definitely my 2 year old loach after having another good look, and this is the 2nd time he jumped. The first time from his quarantine tank 2 years back but I was at home and I heard him flap on the floor...He made it then, not this time...a bit too boisterous for his own demise...It's just heartbreaking for me as I am not one that changes fish often and I get quite attached to each one of them.

From time to time I see larger clown loaches for sale here, mostly deserted from previous owners and If I come across one again, I'll give another loach a chance to replace the soul I lost, not that it is possible but it will give me a peace of mind to give a good home(I hope) to a clown loach in need.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I put the net a few days ago :) It is not extremely ugly but no more pretty pictures either :) I'll take one to show though. I can lift it from the front side to feed the fish and it can be easily lifted for maintenance too. I can see the fish through it so not bad. Long term I am going to get an underwater camera.

I was in the fish shop today, they had 4-5 tiny loaches for sale, I nearly got them. They were extremely small, I hadn't even seen loaches at such young age and small size.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
How many do you have? Are you still going to add to your loach collection? I am having a 180 gallontank. How many 8 - 10 inch adult loach can I put in there? I don't like to overstock it. Cory, I can only look at your collection ❤.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
No, I don't really want to add anymore loaches because they will inevitably grow although rather slowly. With the water level being kept lower, my tank is probably around 180G too right now, although I did fill it up a bit more the weekend before that loach jumped out and killed himself.

I currently have 9, six of which are older and the three youngsters that are out all the time. I get tempted though, even today, but overstocked tank is the worst to have long term...I do think I have room for another one or two....but I'll hold on until I really can't resist the temptation. :)

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
If you are buying, get 3 to 5 incher
. I have 10 clowns now. Do you think the pack size is right? The list have some clowns on sale and they are healthy. At least I will be deworming them all at once. Should I add or is it enough.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
You know, generally you can squeeze more in your 180G, especially because they grow so slowly. I think the fastest I've had is 4.5 inch in 2 years and the slowest is 4 inch in 5 years, with its sibling I bought together double in length at around 8 inches and probably double if not treble in girth too, the size difference between the same age loaches can get enormous. The point is, the size difference in growth leaves room for more loaches for years to come.

On another hand, if you have a good sized group, which you already have, you give them a better life if the tank is stocked on the low side and possibly giving them a chance to grow faster. Plus trust me, after your group grows a bit over the next couple of years, one day you'll be always tempted to get some youngsters again, so its good to leave some room for more in the future...

The problem is, clown loaches are very long lived and it is a long term commitment. And time goes fast...They do grow regardless and they don't stop growing. The toughest times for me have been when my previous tanks broke and I had to use small plastic bins to house my fish. Its easier if one doesn't have an excessive amount of stock should the worst happen...When you've grown and cared for clown loaches for years, seen them grow from small thin fish to strong healthy adults, it is almost impossible to let go and give them away..And it is heartbreaking if they perish because of lack of forward thought.

Reactions: smjack

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well...My perseverance didn't last long.... .I went shopping and right now I am acclimating 3 clown loaches, about 4-5 inch each, some customer brought them over to the shop a couple of days ago :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store