Coast to Coast Overflow Advice Please!!

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I'd look into wider depth if you wanna do rays and aro. Especially if you lose some width to the C2C. Glass is also cut in 8ft sheets so going to 8ft length could be more ideal. You will have to remove the door and hinges to get that inside unless you have double doors or something of that nature, 24" tall seems more reliable for moving these things to me. If you're getting a custom tank you should size it to your long term goals, especially if your gonna be dropping a couple gs on new. 96"x48"x24" tall would be my goal if financially feasible, even a silver aro would end up looking like a busted biscuit can full size in a 30".
I should say I am limited to the exact dimensions of my tank as the height is maxed and the length is maxed due to beams and posts

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I should say I am limited to the exact dimensions of my tank as the height is maxed and the length is maxed due to beams and posts
Also I'm calling them on Monday but it's likely the tank is already built or in mid construction. Adding overflows and drilling holes shouldn't be an issue though

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have unlimited room below and behind the tank. The tank will only be viewed from the front and halfway on either side. I like the surface skimming feature of longer overflows/ctc and prefer not to have tank space taken from duel overflows if possible. CtC are longer but higher up and obviously at the back of the tank making them less intrusive in my rookie opinion. Again not sure if herbie can work in a shallow CtC.
With the design im thinking ctc exists with at least one overflow. CtC does not restrict you from having herbie. Where did see/read that?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
One thing to consider, and this might be wrong due to my inexperience with c2c overflows, but I don't see any way that you would be able to adjust the water height. One nice thing about the setup I have is that I can raise and lower the height of the overflows if I want/need to. If I had thought about it more earlier, I would have drilled the holes a few inches lower to have some more room to work with, but I'm happy with it as is.

I do think that c2c is a good option though. If it were me, I'd prefer to have the weir teeth cut into the back of the aquarium glass and then have the overflow box on the outside of the aquarium with three 1.5-2" bulkheads. I do like the idea of leaving 6" on each end for the return bulkheads though.

Reactions: GoldFinger

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My stand is at least 4 feet tall I made it higher for that reason and so my kids can't touch the glass lol.
LoL. It's just me, but you could sacrifice a little stand height for a few more inches of tank height. I know height isnt as important, but I find the few inches of separation for top through bottom tenants helps.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
A black female ray will outgrow this in a little over 2 years if you start from a pup. Food for thought.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The water level is dictated by the teethe depth on the ctc and weir, and of course its ability to keep up with your return flow.

Tank builder sights will have some depictions of varoius overflow internal and external designs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store