Coast to Coast Overflow Advice Please!!

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
View attachment 1249474

I'm picturing something like this.
That looks exactly what I'm thinking with space for the returns on either side. Where do I find fittings to go through the overflow boxes and gaskets, also for the returns on the glass? I have plumbing suppliers for the piping etc but that stuff seems specialized. Where can I buy an external overflow that size around 5-6' ?

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
LoL. It's just me, but you could sacrifice a little stand height for a few more inches of tank height. I know height isnt as important, but I find the few inches of separation for top through bottom tenants helps.
My tank is 28" high I'm happy with it I think lol

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Hey Guys I have a customs tank being built 84"x30"x28" and was going to use 2 fluval FX6's but have been swayed by almost everyone to do a sump. I'm planning on having an Arowana and possibly discus and a ray. My thought is to do a coast to coast overflow with the bean animal method. Here are my questions:
1) where can I find an overflow box this length and how do I properly size it?
2) would you recommend I have the glass company make me an internal or external one out of glass? (I have the room)
3) would it be cool to do one in the middle maybe 6 feet long leaving 6 inches on ether side to put the returns in rather than drilling through the back and front of the overflow?
4) should I just buy a dog
Thanks so much guys!
Have your tank builder build an external overflow box on the tank.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
That's good. Mine us also 28".
Awesome. I'm thinking instead of drilling the returns in each upper corner to just have them hook over the top of the tank as I'm sure there are flexible hoses that can direct the flow right? This way I'm above the water line if I want more surface agitation etc. Does this make sense?

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I just spoke with the tank builder and he is recommending a ghost overflow as it will be half the price of cutting and adding an external Coast to coast and apparently easier to clean. Anyone have experience or thoughts?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
No experience with bean animal or coast to coast overflows but am easterly on for the ride. I'd like to try this at some point

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I just spoke with the tank builder and he is recommending a ghost overflow as it will be half the price of cutting and adding an external Coast to coast and apparently easier to clean. Anyone have experience or thoughts?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Did you happen to look at the link above? You may want to take a minute to look if you like any?

Ghost overflow works too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store