Common pleco advise

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Gday mate,
No I actually just enjoy the larger fish and I thought the pleco would be good long term and become the main attraction in the tank.

The discus were my choice aswel due to size shape and colour. My partner likes the smaller fish so we have a mix of both.
we rarely see algae build up in the tank but we do scrub the internal glass before water changes.
You agree I should change a larger volume of my water?

Partner did want snails but was told at the shop the loaches would eat them.
If you have loaches then keep away from snails because yes, they will eat them...

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I will say that for many years I did minimal water changes. I can honestly say I rarely had issues within the tank. However with my recent tank,a 150 gallon, I chose a heavier bioload and do 50-70% water changes at a minimum weekly and often twice a week. The water “looks” cleaner after the change, there is less fish odor and over all I believe my fish look better than they did in the past.

Reactions: Go_redfish

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Just something to be aware of also, common plecos have a habbit chewing on other fish sometimes. Usually its because they arent getting enough to eat but Ive seen some that are provided with plenty who still go after their tank mates. If you wake up one morning to find fish who were fine just last night are now missing fins or have wounds on their side, its fairly likely the CP is to blame.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If you don't have one already get yourself a "Python " water change kit. It attaches to your faucet to siphon out the old water and refill your tank after. Makes water changes super easy.
Now on the topic of water changes. Think of a fish in the wild. It gets 100% water change every few seconds. So the more we do for our fish the better. I do fin level changes every third day on my tanks.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Bens fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
Happy days, this is good for me to hear. I see where your coming from with the changes and bit surprised my shop said 25% fortnightly was standard.
I think I will get a test kit aswel. I have just been taking samples into the shop since it’s so close.

The volume that I’m changing is too low. Does the frequency matter at all?
As in would a 50% change once a week be more benificial over a 25% change on Monday’s and Fridays?
I think he’ll be happy in there and I will just change a higher volume of water, easy for both of us. He looks bloody prehistoric, I love it haha

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
bit surprised my shop said 25% fortnightly was standard.
You'll find that most pet store employees will tell you what they think you want to hear, which will hopefully make them a sale.
Every fish that dies in your tank that you replace from his store, every disease you buy medicine to treat, is money in his pocket.

I once heard a Petbarn employee tell someone that the nitrogen cycle was a myth, just so they could sell a few fish that day. Unless you have a really good LFS take everything they say with a grain of salt. Especially chain stores, that's where most people get bad advice. :)

Anyway, you've been given some good advice from other members.. Clean water and good food make for happy healthy fishies. :D

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There hs always been a lot of debate if its better to do 2x water changes a week VS 1x bigger one once a week...

Not really sure if there was a solid answer, but i think most prefered larger water changes because you’ll be removing a larger amount of pollutants in one go???

I mean personally i’m also one of those people that prefer to do 70-80% water changes once a week, so maybe im a little bias...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store