Common Plecostomus Growth Rate??

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
So whats the growth rate for these guys i mean they can get over a foot i know but mine ive had for almost 8 months now and probably grew half a inch or a inch..and he was 2.5-3 inches at first so how fast do these grow for a day, week, month, year...? im sure you understand the general idea what i mean..thanks if you know!!:)

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
From what I understand plecos each have their own growth rates, some grow 2" a year some grow 9" a year its all up to the individual pleco. That being said, many factors can contribute to its growth rate such as water quality, tank size, and diet so theres no fersure answer but how big is your tank and what are you feeding it? also how often do you do a water change and what are its tank mates?

PS: Say pleco Im superstitious and the saying goes that if you say its full name a pleco dies somewhere :)

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
Deep Blue Sea;4737863; said:
From what I understand plecos each have their own growth rates, some grow 2" a year some grow 9" a year its all up to the individual pleco. That being said, many factors can contribute to its growth rate such as water quality, tank size, and diet so theres no fersure answer but how big is your tank and what are you feeding it? also how often do you do a water change and what are its tank mates?

PS: Say pleco Im superstitious and the saying goes that if you say its full name a pleco dies somewhere
ok thanks but i dont feed anything fancy i just feed it whatever is leftover i guess it also i guess eats algae from the glass a bit but i do have algae wafers i throw in every now and then but as tank mates go id be a kissing gourami, dwarf gourami, and tiger barbs..the kissing gourami is getting moved out to my 55 long when its set up so its able to grow more so it doesnt get stunted..and itll be up very soon so i wouldnt worry

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
Reptilesfishbirdsmammals;4737867; said:
ok thanks but i dont feed anything fancy i just feed it whatever is leftover i guess it also i guess eats algae from the glass a bit but i do have algae wafers i throw in every now and then but as tank mates go id be a kissing gourami, dwarf gourami, and tiger barbs..the kissing gourami is getting moved out to my 55 long when its set up so its able to grow more so it doesnt get stunted..and itll be up very soon so i wouldnt worry
what is the water change regime and how big is the tank that its in right now?

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
Deep Blue Sea;4737872; said:
what is the water change regime and how big is the tank that its in right now?
a 10G but by New Years day im putting my 55G in my room..and water change not so much..

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
They usually grow about 1.5-2.5" per month until they reach about 14", then it slows down a bit. Yours is stunted and most likely will not get any better with your irresponsible fish keeping habits.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Deep Blue Sea;4737863; said:

PS: Say pleco Im superstitious and the saying goes that if you say its full name a pleco dies somewhere :)
The only reason a common pleco should be growing 2" per year is if it's already around 18-20".

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
drgnfrc13;4738077; said:
The only reason a common pleco should be growing 2" per year is if it's already around 18-20".
Ive heard numerous reports of well taken care of plecos around 4" growing hardly at all

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
Reptilesfishbirdsmammals;4737983; said:
a 10G but by New Years day im putting my 55G in my room..and water change not so much..
its probably growing so slow due to the lack of space and bad water quality, and a 55g will only be able to hold a half grown pleco so Id upgrade from that fast, also you should be doing a water change every week to every other week

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Deep Blue Sea;4738090; said:
Ive heard numerous reports of well taken care of plecos around 4" growing hardly at all
If these are common plecos then there is no way they are recieving adequate care. 2" per year is just not normal at that size no matter how you look at it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store