Compilation of DIY plywood tanks (Load Warning)

Billy_m24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2010
metairie
I agree with the other on it nice job, like you I wonder how many are still up and running. No leaks clear water ect. I had a heck of time sealing mine. epoxy paint leaked after only a day, ugy drylock lasted about a week, ames blue max worked for me. 77x30x36 my tank has been up for 2 months now no leak water crystal clear.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
Billy_m24;4443164; said:
I agree with the other on it nice job, like you I wonder how many are still up and running. No leaks clear water ect. I had a heck of time sealing mine. epoxy paint leaked after only a day, ugy drylock lasted about a week, ames blue max worked for me. 77x30x36 my tank has been up for 2 months now no leak water crystal clear.
it's an interesting point many have had issues with the epoxy due to it's intolerance to flexing, one here had an issue every time he had to do maintenance in the tank, the wood would flex, the epoxy would not and it would cause a leak; liquid rubber worked for him as well.

I think epoxy only really works long term if you really overbuild the tank. For those of us that don't overbuild liquid rubber is a better application imo.

apennell07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
South Australia/Illinois lol
nice work ive been looking for info like this. im in the middle of building my own monster ply tank. 250gl. wood frame (like a house) with ply inner walls then fiber glass reinforcment. i hear if u dont use fiber glass a rock can puncture the sealant and ruin your tank. im making the front window frame from soild timber and using 2 steel all thread rods as cross braces oon the top of the tank to prevent the glass from bowing. b/c im using pool fence glass lol which is 12mm tempured. tempured glass shatters into millions of pieces so i dont want any bowing lol. i know u shouldnt use temp. but i can get a sheet 1300mmx700mm of 12mm pool fence glass for $60 oppose to $150+ for plate glass. and it is much much stronger so i think 12mm will be fine. i cant wait to finish it and post pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store