Compilation of DIY plywood tanks (Load Warning)

geckoejon

Gambusia
Sep 3, 2016
It would be great if someone took the time to make a post in tutorial form on how to make a plywood tank and listed all of the effective materials and methods others have used with a step by step guide on what to do. Unfortunately from all of the searching I've done I haven't found anything like that on MFK. Maybe if I get bored later I'll start putting something together.
did this ever come about? i'm researching for my first plywood build that will probably be in the 5-700g range... looking for as much build info / experience as i can get :)

geckoejon

Gambusia
Sep 3, 2016
awesome thread! it seems like most of the plywood build threads are for fresh. is their a saltwater page on here? trying to plan my first plywood build in the 5-700g range... looking for more detailed materials lists and assembly techniques... a do's and don't's dyi plywood page would be great! :)

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
did this ever come about? i'm researching for my first plywood build that will probably be in the 5-700g range... looking for as much build info / experience as i can get :)
No.. I mean there are some guides out there, but everyone does it a bit different, read everyone of those threads and decide for yourself how you wish to attack he project.
Overbuild or build on the cheap. many options :)

mfreader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2010
Canada
awesome thread! it seems like most of the plywood build threads are for fresh. is their a saltwater page on here? trying to plan my first plywood build in the 5-700g range... looking for more detailed materials lists and assembly techniques... a do's and don't's dyi plywood page would be great! :)
One of the classic plywood saltwater builds is on reefcentral.com, check out this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749114

I followed many of these techniques to build a 175 gallon plywood freshwater tank about 2 years ago using West System Epoxy. My previous tank project (100 gallon) was in service for around 44 years, so I'm very happy with the reliability of an appropriately designed and constructed plywood tank.

Reactions: BichirKing

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
What's the consensus on building a 8x4x2(or lower/higher) with only plywood bracing in leu of 2x4 or 2x6 framing. Obviously the seams would be fiberglassed. Is the amount of bowing on a 8x4 too much for the front viewing panel and the epoxy (cracking etc.?) Could I use thicker glass to combat it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store