Corner HMF - Powerhead or Air lift Tube

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Morning all. I am curious on everyone's opinion on Powerhead vs Air Lift tube for corner filters. This IS the filtration method, so please, no "use a sump" or "just get an FX6. This will be used for 2 ~100-120g tanks, and I was thinking of buying a singular large air pump (linear) as I can run it outside of my house as well, bringing in just the main air line. In addition to have the air pump for this, the thought was to use the pump for airstones in the large 800G tank above and possibly on airlift tubes on them for the overhead sumps. Thoughts on this? Which would you run and why?

TIA

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Factors to consider:
1. Flow rate through the poret.

I was going to approach roughly 175-200 GPH on each corner. Which according to Swiss Tropicals the Large tubes can achieve.

2. Depth at which you want water to be drawn.

I would like the water to come in from the bottom, which can be done with simple tubing for a powerhead.

3. Do you need extra flow across the top?

The flow at the top would be nice to keep the surface busted. One tank will house a Red Wolf, the other is going to house UJ Bichirs, bottom dwellers.

4. Wattage of the powerhead you want vs the pump.

The wattage seams that the air lift would win due to a ~32W air pump for 3 large tanks. The Powerheads would be ~32W for just the 2 smaller tanks. Doesn't account for circulation/airstones on the large tanks.

5. Additional system heat generated by powerhead.

This would be okay as long as it doesn't overhead the tank. Which, I don't believe it would add much heater. These 2 bottom tanks will be plywood with only a glass window. The top tank will require heating regardless.

Hopefully this added information can assist on my dilemma.

Thanks!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Other question is, where will the airpump be? A 32W is rather strong.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would run the airpump outside and run a main line into the house, and manifold from there.
Sounds perfect. Just be sure to keep it sheltered, the elements do bad things to pumps in my experience.

Reactions: FishBeast

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Sounds perfect. Just be sure to keep it sheltered, the elements do bad things to pumps in my experience.
The idea is to put it and my filtration in a short outdoor storage plastice container. Clean up the side of the house and I can put garden house valves there to move drip water around to different flower beds. Also, line it in the winter so my drip filters don't freeze. What brand of linear pumps are recommended? I've seen Jehmco and Pentair. Amazon has a few brands with solid reviews as well.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have a small fish room of about 22 tanks (under 40G) and have used the Jehmco LPH60 linear pump and then replaced it with a LPH80 linear pump. Both air pumps are very quiet and were kept in an open closet in the fish room. I don't know that you would need to keep these model linear air pumps outdoors due to noise levels.

I suggest contacting Jehmco directly to speak with John or another expert there to explain what your plans are and they would be more than happy to recommend the appropriate air pump.

The biggest issue with choosing the appropriate air pump is the depth you have to get the proper flow from your air lifts AND the type and number of air stones you plan on operating.

In your 1st post you mentioned something about using air lifts on the overhead sumps. Are those air lifts planned to just circulate the flow in the sump or are you trying to move the water from the main tank UP to the sumps?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store