Crenicichla Regani with apistogramma Agassizii

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I decided to try something out today, I needed some tank space so I evicted a little female a. Agassizii from her tank. I first tried to move her to a community type tank where the only fish she'd worry about were some guianacara and some heros but that tank had too much current and she was flailing about which brought a lot of hungry mouths toward her and I could see that wasn't going to work out even though I though that would have worked. Not being able to do that I said whatever, come what may and placed her into my tapajos Biotope eith my Geo tapajos and a group of c. Regani. I honestly wasn't so worried about the female regani but I was sure the male's would take a run at her. Happy to report so far at least I was totally wrong. The male's barely seem to care. The females have been more interested. How crazy. I'm sure it won't work in every situation but I'm very pleased with how it has in this case. Of course I have video proof, the video is short and bad but it's this little female Agassizii hanging out mere inches from one of my male regani. And they are what I assume is fully grown too. Fantastic

Reactions: Že Martin

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The male could easily swallow her if he wanted to, but I hope everything stays calm. Are they from the same region?

Reactions: mrrobxc

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Technically no, the c. Regani here are wild caught while the Agassizii is a domestic strain (double red), so I'm taking a liberty here but a. Agassizii are found in the Tapajos so close enough I figure. Since I posted I've seen a female take a snap at her but I think it may have been more territorial than predatory. The males could care less but the night will tell what the real story is.

Reactions: tlindsey

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I think having 5 regani in this tank is actually working in her favor because they are all distracted chasing each other before they get too interested in her.

Reactions: tlindsey

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I've been wanting to do this for a while. A lot of dwarf pikes are apisto fry hunters in the wild. And adult apistos are too large for the smaller pikes to swallow. Though I was thinking of a leaf litter tank for it.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've been wanting to do this for a while. A lot of dwarf pikes are apisto fry hunters in the wild. And adult apistos are too large for the smaller pikes to swallow. Though I was thinking of a leaf litter tank for it.
I'd been thinking about it for a long time as well, I think a tank that's designed for breeding apistogramma but with enough room for dwarf pikes would be the bomb. When I had this girl in the tank with guianacara she freeeeeaaaked out, like I said flailing and spazzing about. She didn't know what to do, just acted like dinner. I put her in here and her instincts kicked right in and her fins went up. These fish belong together. I'm convinced. Watch tomorrow one of the males will be super fat and I'll be out an apisto. If this works and she's alive in a week I'm prob gonna scoop up a few more

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I did it. Male regani ended up eating the apistogramma. Age both an aggassizii and a panduro.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I was thinking more with one of the smaller species, not regani given how much larger they get.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I was thinking more with one of the smaller species, not regani given how much larger they get.
I agree. My male regani was pushing six inches.

Maybe a compressiceps or wallacei

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Was thinking even smaller if possible, if not go for one of the apisto's that pushes four inches ... A. steindachneri maybe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store