Cuban cichlid growth rate ?

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
What Is the normal growth rate of a cuban cichlid about 2 weeks ago I purchased a small Cuban cichlid 1.5 inches long it is now 2 inches. It is nowhere near the top of the tank in dominance and was at the bottom when first introduced but has since outgrown my vieja argentea,salvini and is catching up 2 my 4 gold Severum who were all similar sized. Just interested of anyone else experienced them being fast growers

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Don't have experience with Cubans, but have noticed with alot of cichlids that they can have a massive growth spurt for the first few weeks in a tank and then slow down.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found their growth rate to be fairly quick, but much depends on amount and frequency of water changes.
The more water changes you do the faster they grow.
I averaged a 30 -40% water changes every other day, and they hit 4 inches quickly for the females, and then slowed a bit.
Males would keep growing until about 8" then growth slowed to a crawl.

above, a juvie @ 3-4", below a male about 10"
below a female, that stopped growing about 5"

I believe because they continued to spawn when the female was 4-5" it basically took all her energy, and slowed or even stopped her growth

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
I have found their growth rate to be fairly quick, but much depends on amount and frequency of water changes.
The more water changes you do the faster they grow.
I averaged a 30 -40% water changes every other day, and they hit 4 inches quickly for the females, and then slowed a bit.
Males would keep growing until about 8" then growth slowed to a crawl.

above, a juvie @ 3-4", below a male about 10"
below a female, that stopped growing about 5"

I believe because they continued to spawn when the female was 4-5" it basically took all her energy, and slowed or even stopped her growth
Hopefully mine is a male it seems to be aggressive luckily it's size is a bigggg disadvantage but he does flare when big fish swim by

Fruju

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
New Zealand
My experience is approximately an inch a month. Agree with the above comment regarding water changes. I kept mine in a sorority unintentionally, so I didn't have any spawning attempts. My big female is 8 inches (about 2 years old), a female I received in April this year is now 5-6 inches, and a young (hopefully male) one I got 2 months ago at about 1.5 inches is now 3 inches. I feel I am getting good growth rates, much faster than texas cichlids ime.

Reactions: TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
My experience is approximately an inch a month. Agree with the above comment regarding water changes. I kept mine in a sorority unintentionally, so I didn't have any spawning attempts. My big female is 8 inches (about 2 years old), a female I received in April this year is now 5-6 inches, and a young (hopefully male) one I got 2 months ago at about 1.5 inches is now 3 inches. I feel I am getting good growth rates, much faster than texas cichlids ime.
Yeah Texas cichlids grow slow imo. I have my male for about 11 months and he's 7-7.5 inches

Reactions: TheMoneyTank(TMT)
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store