Curvy Arowana

chihuicahui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi! We bought our baby arowana a month ago at about 4 inches. He is about 5 inches now. A while ago I noticed a strange curve in his spine and thought it was getting better. But it seems to have gotten worse or at least more noticeable.

He is temporarily in a 130 gallon tank with about 15 cories, two plecos, and a few other bottom feeding catfish. And we recently added a pair of breeding convicts to use their fry as food for my gar.

He eats hikari protein sticks.

Is this anything I should be concerned about? Will it go away? And is there anything I can do?

(Sorry for the picture quality. The tannins from driftwood has tanned my water and today is water change day)

Capture+_2017-03-29-14-03-01.png

Capture+_2017-03-29-14-02-42.png

aviary-image-1490814765987.jpeg

chihuicahui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
Wisconsin
most likely a crooked spine. Does he look curved when you bought him?
We noticed a dip in his spine when we got him home but recently its more noticeable/worse. He has a lot of room and no one messes with him. So i dont know if its just a birth defect or what. My boyfriend says it almost looks like something crushed him. But it would have had to have happened before we got him but it wasnt this bad whenever we got him.

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
We noticed a dip in his spine when we got him home but recently its more noticeable/worse. He has a lot of room and no one messes with him. So i dont know if its just a birth defect or what. My boyfriend says it almost looks like something crushed him. But it would have had to have happened before we got him but it wasnt this bad whenever we got him.
he was born like that with a crooked spine, he was stunted while growing, or when the parents were breed and the eggs were extracted from the fathers mouth its spine snapped. I dont think there is anyway to fix it atleast not that i know of.

BlackT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
I think it's either birth defects or it may have jumped and banged its back on the cover of your tank. Anyway, it's a cool looking fish with unusual boy shape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store