Darter biotope

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yes, we have lots of bullheads and catfish and other bottom dwellers in our creeks/rivers
Historical accounts claim lots of big pike, yet I wasn't able to find any when I went, just lots of corn (which isn't edible to humans,cows or deer).

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Historical accounts claim lots of big pike, yet I wasn't able to find any when I went, just lots of corn (which isn't edible to humans,cows or deer).
Yes we have good sized Northern Pike and Muskellunge in the Cedar River which runs through downtown Cedar Rapids and they like to swim up these smaller streams to spawn and you can find them in very odd places such as creeks/streams that are only 10 feet wide and less than 5 feet deep. If I catch any thing spring I'll make sure to post pictures. I used to keep my 120g take with native fish I caught out of the creek.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Bigfishnut Bigfishnut I have Darters and you were right they are fantastic little fish.:)

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I put bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and spirulina brine shrimp in a squeeze bottle with some distilled water. Just squirt some in twice a day. Dartets are BIG eaters. It seems they have a very high metabolism. During the spring and summer I try to catch may fly larvae and mosquito larvae to feed them a treat.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I put bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and spirulina brine shrimp in a squeeze bottle with some distilled water. Just squirt some in twice a day. Dartets are BIG eaters. It seems they have a very high metabolism. During the spring and summer I try to catch may fly larvae and mosquito larvae to feed them a treat.

I was surprised that they would eat today but they all ate bloodworms.
Thanks for your input.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I was surprised that they would eat today but they all ate bloodworms.
Thanks for your input.
You'll find they are not like any fish you've ever kept..lol. They tend to break all the normal fish keeping rules. They are surprisingly forgiving fish. One thing they can't tolerate is microbubbles. Be careful during waterchanges.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store