Darter biotope

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Finally! I found a good spot to collect spotted darters. Brought 5 home today. Here's one next to a bluebreast. Great comparison of the two similar species

0618181611.jpg 0618181611a.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Very cool. How do you catch them?

Reactions: tlindsey

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Very cool. How do you catch them?
I use a dip net and trick them into going into it by pushing with another small net. It's a hard technique to learn, but very effective and safe for the fish. I'm not a fan of kick seining or some of the other more violent methods of netting. I target a fish abd let it go in all on it's own.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I use a dip net and trick them into going into it by pushing with another small net. It's a hard technique to learn, but very effective and safe for the fish. I'm not a fan of kick seining or some of the other more violent methods of netting. I target a fish abd let it go in all on it's own.
I saw a video of a guy rapidly dragging a net across the bottom to catch them, but it seemed like he was very likely to injure them in the process. You method sounds much better and safer for the fish. I think there are around 70 darter species in Alabama, but most inhabit areas north of my location so a collection trip would take some time and planning.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I saw a video of a guy rapidly dragging a net across the bottom to catch them, but it seemed like he was very likely to injure them in the process. You method sounds much better and safer for the fish. I think there are around 70 darter species in Alabama, but most inhabit areas north of my location so a collection trip would take some time and planning.
Yes, dragging the bottom injures fish. My fish go in my tanks 100% injury free and low stress. They eat within a couple hours! Traumatized fish have a much lower survival rate and take several days to adjust. All my darters survive long term. Northern Alabama is a big hot spot for darters. Do your homework and be sure to collect only legal species. Several darters are protected. Any advice you need in capture or care feel free to message me. I'll help any way I can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store