Datnoid on spriulina

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Total 3 datnoids and all eat different pellets

But what is surprising is there was 2 on a China bottom feeder pellets but now prefers the spriulina sinking wafers I just bought from china

This wafer was supposed to be given to cichlids and pleco as a substitute for greens

From what I see, major ingredients are Antarctic krill, spriulina, prawn meal and wheat

Does anybody else's datnoid like spriulina?

20190901_190818.jpg

20190901_223002.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-164601.jpg

Oh and a feeder pb started eating carnisticks too lol

Last edited by a moderator:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Total 3 datnoids and all eat different pellets

But what is surprising is there was 2 on a China bottom feeder pellets but now prefers the spriulina sinking wafers I just bought from china

This wafer was supposed to be given to cichlids and pleco as a substitute for greens

From what I see, major ingredients are Antarctic krill, spriulina, prawn meal and wheat

Does anybody else's datnoid like spriulina?

View attachment 1387690

View attachment 1387691

View attachment 1387692

I have a Datnoid that will eat a variety of pellet also including the pellet with Spirulina. That's a great that the Datnoids eat the pellets containing Spirulina.

Reactions: RD. and islandguy11

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Being trained onto them,my dats will eat most pellets,even those that my cichla will refuse .I don't make it a point to give them spirulina on a regular basis but I have given them NLS Algae Max pellets on a few occasions when I have run out of other foods for them.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I have a Datnoid that will eat a variety of pellet also including the pellet with Spirulina. That's a great that the Datnoids eat the pellets containing Spirulina.
Yes but would have been better if they all eat the same pellets lol

Being trained onto them,my dats will eat most pellets,even those that my cichla will refuse .I don't make it a point to give them spirulina on a regular basis but I have given them NLS Algae Max pellets on a few occasions when I have run out of other foods for them.
Can't afford NLS so have to use made in china spriulina .. even my pb eat them... the smallest one

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Can't afford NLS so have to use made in china spriulina .. even my pb eat them... the smallest one
The stuff is high and I probably won't be buying too much more of it as my silver dollars which is who I bought it for seem to do well enough on other foods.

Reactions: Dloks

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
The stuff is high and I probably won't be buying too much more of it as my silver dollars which is who I bought it for seem to do well enough on other foods.
long term wise will be too expensive especially since it is imported.... so far not much issues with other foods... most times seems more like user error, i.e ME.... lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There’s really no benefit to giving these predators algae wafers. It’s like feeding a lion a salad! Lol. It’s a kool that a dat is willing to take. That means it’ll eat a freakin pellet. Excluding my Silver. Mine won’t touch it. Lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There’s really no benefit to giving these predators algae wafers. It’s like feeding a lion a salad! Lol. It’s a kool that a dat is willing to take. That means it’ll eat a freakin pellet. Excluding my Silver. Mine won’t touch it. Lol
That’s actually not true. In the wild a predator eats the entire prey, gut content and all. That stomach content in aquatic prey will typically contain smaller organisms, including some form of aquatic plant matter. That micro-algae contains numerous vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and it contains immune-stimulating properties. There has been a lot of research in utilizing spirulina, along with other micro-alage, in commercial aquaculture over the past 25 years.

https://thefishsite.com/articles/th...rties-of-spirulina-and-its-use-in-aquaculture

Spirulina is high in mineral content, and ash, so certainly not something that one wants to feed a LOT of, to a predatory species, but I certainly wouldn't say that there is no benefit in a predatory species eating it. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
That’s actually not true. In the wild a predator eats the entire prey, gut content and all. That stomach content in aquatic prey will typically contain smaller organisms, including some form of aquatic plant matter. That micro-algae contains numerous vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and it contains immune-stimulating properties. There has been a lot of research in utilizing spirulina, along with other micro-alage, in commercial aquaculture over the past 25 years.

https://thefishsite.com/articles/th...rties-of-spirulina-and-its-use-in-aquaculture

Spirulina is high in mineral content, and ash, so certainly not something that one wants to feed a LOT of, to a predatory species, but I certainly wouldn't say that there is no benefit in a predatory species eating it. Quite the opposite.
Great detailed info RD as always. It was terrible sarcasm on my part. A lion would never eat a salad. It would be the deer that just had the salad. Lol.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store