Datnoid on spriulina

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Also the chinese spriulina is not a small bottle.... I bought the biggest available, 2600ml which is about 1.8kg... bought it when I was in china.

For some reason, sale in large volumes of fish food does not seem very popular in my country... except for koi food.

I realised that the prices in Canada for hikari and NLS is similar with a slight premium on NLS

But at our end.... it's 400% more..... would have been willing to pay a slight premium to try NLS but not 400%

So far biggest for hikari, only seen 3 types of 1kg packets. Massivore, carnivore and algae wafers. Never seen any 2kg cichlid gold before.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What is the price for the Massivore, in US $$$? My exchange shows $28.40 US, is that correct? If so that is damn cheap for Massivore.

Professional Use is nothing out of the ordinary, they have that on all of their larger bags/containers.

I realised that the prices in Canada for hikari and NLS is similar with a slight premium on NLS
Actually it's the other way around, note the price, and quantity, for the Massivore in my post above.
I use Massivore as a comparison because Gold etc is IMO low quality food of no comparison to NLS, NF, etc.
Massivore costs double of what NLS and/or NF costs.

Hikari Gold
Fish meal, wheat bran, brewers dried yeast, flaked corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, fish oil, rice bran, garlic, DL-methionine, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, red 3, yellow 5 (artificial colors).*

If I was poor, and had no other choice, I might consider it. But even still, it is expensive here, $60 for 2 kg of mostly wheat & corn. No Bueno, no thanks.

For some reason, sale in large volumes of fish food does not seem very popular in my country... except for koi food.

If you are interested in larger containers in bulk, ask the local distributor, or store, to bring in what you want. No reason why they couldn't have that added on to their next order. Unless they don't feel that they can move the remainder of the case. It is in the best interest of the importer, and retailer, to bring in smaller containers, due to mark up. They make a lot more $$$, vs selling larger containers in bulk. I was a distributor for close to a decade, so I understand how the retail game is played.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
What is the price for the Massivore, in US $$$? My exchange shows $28.40 US, is that correct? If so that is damn cheap for Massivore.

Professional Use is nothing out of the ordinary, they have that on all of their larger bags/containers.

Actually it's the other way around, note the price, and quantity, for the Massivore in my post above.
I use Massivore as a comparison because Gold etc is IMO low quality food of no comparison to NLS, NF, etc.
Massivore costs double of what NLS and/or NF costs.

Hikari Gold
Fish meal, wheat bran, brewers dried yeast, flaked corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, fish oil, rice bran, garlic, DL-methionine, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, red 3, yellow 5 (artificial colors).*

If I was poor, and had no other choice, I might consider it. But even still, it is expensive here, $60 for 2 kg of mostly wheat & corn. No Bueno, no thanks.

If you are interested in larger containers in bulk, ask the local distributor, or store, to bring in what you want. No reason why they couldn't have that added on to their next order. Unless they don't feel that they can move the remainder of the case. It is in the best interest of the importer, and retailer, to bring in smaller containers, due to mark up. They make a lot more $$$, vs selling larger containers in bulk. I was a distributor for close to a decade, so I understand how the retail game is played.

Yes it's about usd30 and is cheap because iirc he is a distributor for hikari

But I was comparing the cichlid gold vs nls for cichlids... iirc nls will cost about us40+ for about 500g while the cichlid gold is about us10+...

I saw a sgreef link ,post was in 2014, someone was bringing in nls 2.2kg and selling for about usd 110... will keep a look out on the price of NLS at my nearest LFS the next time I go. Equipment and food are expensive while fish is cheap here.

Massivore/carnivore will be the next on my list.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
If I am in Canada and prices being similar between hikari and nls, I would likely have used nls

But as you can see, for some reason hikari seems to be priced cheaply in asia. I check the prices of hikari in malaysia, indo, china and thailand... and all are about the same as singapore or slightly more expensive

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well I am FAR more jealous of your fish selection, and prices, than cost of food. lol

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, yeah, probably not. The grass always seems greener on the other side …..

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yeah same here Galantspeedz, can only find koi food in bulk -- but at least Hikari in whatever size is quite a bit cheaper here in SEA compared to US/Canada/Europe.

And Neil I think most any LFS shop here wouldn't be interested to accommodate such special orders, they'd come up with some excuse or another. That said it might be worth checking with a bigger Hikari distributor that is located at Chatuchak; they might be more open to doing as you suggest -- I'm burning through small packs of Sinking Carnivore, though at least it's only for 1 tank.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's definitely worth a shot approaching a distributor. Nothing to lose, and plenty to gain by buying in bulk.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
It's definitely worth a shot approaching a distributor. Nothing to lose, and plenty to gain by buying in bulk.
Next time I go to BKK I'll stop in there. One issue with bulk here though: given it's so hot and humid year round, opened bulk food (even when in air tight containers) tends to go bad faster than in cooler climes -- what is the best way to store it, in a refrigerator or freezer?

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store