Datnoid on spriulina

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Can't afford NLS so have to use made in china spriulina ..
It's why China rules the world that we now live in. Everyone wants things faster, and cheaper. Use it up, toss it out, buy a new one. But the bottom line is the old adage you get what you pay for, still holds true today. You want cheap food that's dyed green, or food that's fluffed up with soybean & corn, or do you a want quality product?

Fish are resilient, overall they won't know the difference, neither will your dogs, cats, etc. But I do. I guess that it all boils down to priorities.

Reactions: SBM and islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
It's why China rules the world that we now live in. Everyone wants things faster, and cheaper. Use it up, toss it out, buy a new one. But the bottom line is the old adage you get what you pay for, still holds true today. You want cheap food that's dyed green, or food that's fluffed up with soybean & corn, or do you a want quality product?

Fish are resilient, overall they won't know the difference, neither will your dogs, cats, etc. But I do. I guess that it all boils down to priorities.
Much agreed Neil, though the main problem here in Asia/SEA as you know is little or no access to better brand fish foods -- companies like NLS, Northfin, etc. will likely never have any decent market penetration here simply because the average Joe fish keeper here either can't afford them and/or has little knowledge (or even cares about) the nutritional differences of fish food; as long as the fish eat it that's really all that matters to most. Makes life harder for those of us who know better, but of course we generally have to make do with what we can get (e.g. mostly Hikari). Nice fish here but that's about it insofar as real quality lol.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries Barrett, I understand if there is no access, one has to do the best they can with what is available. But if quality products are available, and one goes cheaper out of choice, which IME is typically the more accurate scenario, then that goes back to my previous comment. It's why China rules the world that we now live in. Everyone wants everything cheaper. Screw quality, screw quality control, screw supporting local manufacturers, and putting money back into ones own economy - screw everything except ME. Me wants it cheaper. I didn't create the situation, but I have certainly watched it unfold over the past 50 yrs.

Clearly I have no idea what is currently available on the shelves in SEA, or China for that matter, but I do know that at one time there were distributors of NLS in place in Singapore, where the OP is located. This is from Sept 2016, but clearly this store had plenty in stock on their shelves in Singapore at that time. http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/129095-new-life-spectrum/

Also, this info may be outdated, or not, currently it shows 2 distributors based in Singapore.

Like I said, I guess that it all boils down to priorities.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Great detailed info RD as always. It was terrible sarcasm on my part. A lion would never eat a salad. It would be the deer that just had the salad. Lol.

No worries, I get it. lol I think that for many people feeding predators in captivity, they forget that feeding strips of flesh from fish, shrimp, squid, etc, isn't the same as feeding the "whole" fish, with complete gut contents intact. In public aquariums, zoos, etc they supplement those fresh/frozen items with vitamins & minerals, and I'm sure attempt to duplicate what takes place in the wild as close as they can. I feed all of my fish at least "some" aquatic plant matter (AlgaeMax) to ensure that they are getting the additional supplementation that comes from aquatic plant material. The fish that are more herbivorous, such as my H. carpintis, simply get a lot more.

As the OP has found out not always the easiest thing to balance in a comm tank, when a fish decides what is best for them. :)

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017

I want a quality and cheap product, which means i may have to forgo some quality for price but that does not necessarily means it is lousy quality though some are.

Not only for food but everything else and in most cases these are provided for by the china market

Gone are the days people buy things blindly and just believe whatever the manufacturer claims, every single thing has reviews and pics and some even has group chats set up by seller for all buyers to communicate.

I love china lol

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
No worries Barrett, I understand if there is no access, one has to do the best they can with what is available. But if quality products are available, and one goes cheaper out of choice, which IME is typically the more accurate scenario, then that goes back to my previous comment. It's why China rules the world that we now live in. Everyone wants everything cheaper. Screw quality, screw quality control, screw supporting local manufacturers, and putting money back into ones own economy - screw everything except ME. Me wants it cheaper. I didn't create the situation, but I have certainly watched it unfold over the past 50 yrs.

Clearly I have no idea what is currently available on the shelves in SEA, or China for that matter, but I do know that at one time there were distributors of NLS in place in Singapore, where the OP is located. This is from Sept 2016, but clearly this store had plenty in stock on their shelves in Singapore at that time. http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/129095-new-life-spectrum/

Also, this info may be outdated, or not, currently it shows 2 distributors based in Singapore.

Like I said, I guess that it all boils down to priorities.

The main diet for the datnoids was supposed to be market prawns not pellets, the algae wafers were supposed to be for a common pleco.

The funny thing is 2 of them prefer the algae wafers to market prawn now while the other prefer hikari carnisticks to market prawn too

Next up, massivore lol

NLS is available but at a very very premium price so I will stick to hikari as main diet for those willing to consume hikari

Priority will always be value for money...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The definition of value will vary among consumers. In my world cheap and quality rarely go hand in hand. Good luck with your dats, an interesting observation. Thanks for sharing.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Price check $9 for 342g of hikari vs $16 for 125g of NLS. Average is about 1-2 weeks for 1 pack. Can't justify the premium on a personal basis.

In my world, quality of ingredients is only a minor factor in pricing

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Those NLS prices are no different in Canada, and actually far lower than in AU. But why are we comparing baby sized containers that cost a premium due to the size? Do you buy all of your food in small containers, like those Chinese algae wafers?

I buy my food in bulk, to save $$$, and even then, in Canada, due to our pricing structure, taxes, etc, almost ALL products cost twice as much as in the USA. It's the price we pay for living in Canada I guess. But it doesn't mean that I go cheap, just to save money on feed.

In Canada, unless one wants to smuggle goods across the border, we pay a premium on EVERYTHING.

As an example, without considering shipping and federal/provincial taxes;

1kg of Massivore costs $78.00. CAD
2 kg of Hikari Gold costs $60.00 CAD

2.5 kg bucket of NF (Northfin) costs $70.00-$85.00 CAD
1.7 kg of Nutrafin Bug Bites costs $65.00 CAD,
2kg Color Enhancing Bug Bites $80.00 CAD

A 2.2 kg bucket of NLS costs between $70-80. CAD

I'm curious what you will pay for Massivore, in S'pore?

In my world, quality of ingredients is only a minor factor in pricing

Clearly we live in a different world.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Those NLS prices are no different in Canada, and actually far lower than in AU. But why are we comparing baby sized containers that cost a premium due to the size? Do you buy all of your food in small containers, like those Chinese algae wafers?

I buy my food in bulk, to save $$$, and even then, in Canada, due to our pricing structure, taxes, etc, almost ALL products cost twice as much as in the USA. It's the price we pay for living in Canada I guess. But it doesn't mean that I go cheap, just to save money on feed.

In Canada, unless one wants to smuggle goods across the border, we pay a premium on EVERYTHING.

As an example, without considering shipping and federal/provincial taxes;

1kg of Massivore costs $78.00. CAD
2 kg of Hikari Gold costs $60.00 CAD

2.5 kg bucket of NF (Northfin) costs $70.00-$85.00 CAD
1.7 kg of Nutrafin Bug Bites costs $65.00 CAD,
2kg Color Enhancing Bug Bites $80.00 CAD

A 2.2 kg bucket of NLS costs between $70-80. CAD

I'm curious what you will pay for Massivore, in S'pore?

Clearly we live in a different world.
For hikari cichlid gold.. 342g is the largest I can find... I rem NLS does have a bigger bottle but only a couple of hundred grams too.

For massivore and carnivore there are 1kg packets... the picture listed is the cheapest I can find in SG. Don't see these 1kg in LFS

If you noticed, it is labelled as for professional use only

Screenshot_20190914-233526_Carousell.jpg

Screenshot_20190914-233509_Carousell.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store