Delhezi Bichir Growout Thread

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Ok, a fight has broken out between literally every fish. Yesterday, I witnessed the largest Tetra bop Sparky in the head. He went all around the tank, and broke the group. The small tetra bumped into the largest. All the tetras now pick on him. Sparky made a lair under the sponge filter, and has been hiding ever since, only coming out for food. He also broke one of his top fin bones. This happened about a week ago, when he tried to wedge himself into the corner by the sponge filter. It was like you trying to cram yourself into a wall half the size of yourself from the top. He got freaked out, and his fins went up. Broke 2 or 3. Will never look the same, but he is swimming fine. I think I need to get a few more Tetras for the group, to spread aggression. The smallest one is looking so pathetic. Do you think they could go outside in the patio pond?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Summers definitely, not sure if they can handle cold water in winters. Sorry to hear about sparky’s fins.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
He is completely fine now. I dint think they can handle the winters either. What do you say about getting another 3 Tetras to up the group to 7?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Maybe an extra 5-10% during changes. Tetras aren’t too messy.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Tetras are acting crazy, as usual. Got them some new flake food, and as a treat, freeze-dried bloodworms. Do you think sparky can eat Sinking Cichlid Gold from hikari? Look at this pick: a 7 inch Bichir curled up in a 3 inch moon rock lol

8EB38BFA-30A7-4B1B-8035-2D7F56257635.jpeg

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Don't know much about bichirs but hikari sinking cichid pellets are the only pellets some of my snakeheads will accept,they ignore floating pellets.The bifggest one is about 8".Some bichir keepers start them off on Sinking Cichlid Gold and progress onto carnivore sinking pellets or massivore pellets as they get larger.
edit: biggest*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store