Delhezi Bichir Growout Thread

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
He is not taking shrimp pellets. Should I just wait? Tetras are right next to the filter, so all the food they eat is going down onto the ground. Sparky isn’t taking their food. Why do I need to feed him shrimp pellets instead of brine shrimp?
Train it to eat gold sinking pellet, it usually work, also small piece of tilapia fillet.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Gold Sinking Pellets are the cichlid ones, right? He ate those immediately. I was planning to move to that food, so I starved him for 2 days, and he ate it immediately. As for meat, I have never given him strait up meat. The Medium Cichlid Gold pellets are perfect for the size of his mouth. I also see him once in a while swim uo to the top to grab a flake, or freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Reactions: Deadeye

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Gold Sinking Pellets are the cichlid ones, right? He ate those immediately. I was planning to move to that food, so I starved him for 2 days, and he ate it immediately. As for meat, I have never given him strait up meat. The Medium Cichlid Gold pellets are perfect for the size of his mouth. I also see him once in a while swim uo to the top to grab a flake, or freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp.
Yes thats the same pellet, meaty food its good for them also, makes them grow faster, also if you can find smelt and cut to small pieces and shrimp with no shell.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Imo freeze dried blood worms don't have much nutritional value.Fresh anchovies,prawns and tilapia are far better choices (it's best to soak the seafood in a vitamin supplement to avoid a vitamin B1 deficiency)

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Also try not to feed to often especially with meaty food, most CB bichirs dont know when to stop eating, you dont want the bichir to have digestive problem in the long run. Every other day feeding will be fine, it will grow fast aslong the water is in good condition, water change on time. Let it have time to digest its meal.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I know Freeze-Dried anything has no nutrition, but the tetras love it. I will look for anchovies, smelt, etc. at the nearest bait and tackle shop. You think I could just make a giant batch of shrimp, smelt, anchovies, tilapia and pellets, and use it to give to sparky daily?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I know Freeze-Dried anything has no nutrition, but the tetras love it. I will look for anchovies, smelt, etc. at the nearest bait and tackle shop. You think I could just make a giant batch of shrimp, smelt, anchovies, tilapia and pellets, and use it to give to sparky daily?
frozen silversides are available at Petsmart/Petco. Rotate the food around instead of making a mix batch. It will only eat food that it likes out of that batch. Then you are left with other food in the tank.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Monday: Feed
Tuesday: Feed
Wednesday: Starve
Thursday: Feed
Friday: Starve
Saturday: Feed
Sunday: Starve

Thats my schedule for him. I would do something like 1 piece of oshrimp with a fillet of tilapia, a few smelt, and all of the Cichlid Gold Pellets. Would a batch like that be a good food source for him?

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
How big are your tetras? Do you have plan with the bichir and tetra soon? Just asking cause the tetras will be a meal to the bichir when it grow and it can fit in its mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store