Delhezi Bichir Growout Thread

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
So...long story short I thought pebbles were okay with bichirs, so I switched to pea pebbles because of the smell of the sand, and then I asked, so I needed to switch back to sand, THEN, I broke my filter by not cleaning out the sand enough (I swear, the sand is half silt), so now I got a new filter, and a half inch of silt at the bottom. Long, hectic days for the fish. Sparky didn’t eat for a day or 2, and he stayed in one spot hidden for a while.

On the other hand, the filter can not fit on the back of the tank, because I am not strong enough to lift over 1,000 pounds of water, plus tank and stand. So...It is on the side, wich I don’t mind. The filter is an AquaClear 70 HOB. The led’s and hood need to be cut so that the filter can fit. The filter is from Aquarptic Warehouse, which is a literal warehouse ?. Here are some pics!

Pic #1 is the filter and hood
Pic #2 is Sparky!
Pic #3 Sparky!
Pic #4 is the Congo Tetra Tank mates, hard to get pic cuz they are always moving, and the fact I am using total sh-t
Pic #5 the silt ?
Pic #6-9 Glamour Shots of the filter :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Deadeye

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don’t know if that is a silt later. Same thing happens in my sand tank and I always figured it was just how deep the light was penetrating into the sand.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I agree with Deadeye Deadeye if that were silt sparky would probably be sink into it or at least swimming through it and your decorations are resting on top of it so I think it is just the light on the sand no need to worry I went to a lake once and I canoed over to a little bay that I thought would be fun to swim in well when we started swimming I dove down a kicked of the bottom but my legs sunk right in and I still could not feel the bottom I told my friends with me and we spent like ten minutes trying to touch the bottom of the silt layer but could not I think what happened is that debris from the main lake was collecting in the little bay and judging from the depth of the lake right out side of the bay the silt layer was probably over ten feet deep! just a fun story I thought Id share

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow , there is a problem with the way you have the AC 70 filter setting on the tank rim, either you have the leveler on the bottom of the filter adjusted wrong or the filter is too narrow to install correctly due to the thickness of the plastic tank frame. The danger is that the filter could be knocked off the tank and spill water in your room.

If the filter is too narrow to install correctly you have 2 choices: modify the trim by cutting the thin lip so the filter fits properly or replace the filter with an AC 110. My suggestion is to get the AC 110 and use the AC 70 on another tank.

I would also wait until you do a 50% water change on the tank so you can slide the tank and stand further away from the wall so you can put the AC filter on the back of the tank where it belongs.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Also, I am going to add one more bag, and vacuum the substrate, but first, I will give the fish a 3 day break.

Reactions: Deadeye

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
what are you doing to the rim I would not mess with the rim of a big tank like that
I'm not a fan of cutting the trim if there are other options out there. It would also limit where the filter is installed on the tank in case you want to move it in the future.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store