Discus Breeding System

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
The "what is next" has changed haha

Got rid of the fish that were not discus, most of them at least. The ones (tiger loaches) in with the discus were making it difficult to get them size and were just adding unnecessary extra work. As well as the red tailed botia and the threadfin catfish, I took them to my LFS. This allowed me to teardown the temporary setup and freed up some time.

For my birth anniversary my wife is getting me some discus! woohoo haha! I will be getting 24 from Discus Hans around 2.5"
I setup a grow out for them, a 55 gallon with a drip system and I plan on doing spot vacuum as well. I switched over the large tank and I am having the grow out use tap water (still filtered through my whole house filter). I will only be using my RO + mineral mix when trying to breed.

here are some photos of the grow out setup

20200910_084205.jpg
20200910_084144.jpg

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
I was not able to pull the trigger on this yet. Still plan on it, we are in the middle of moving so I had to tear down everything. We sold our house already and we have closed on our new house, but we can't move in yet since we are having some work done. In between houses right now, I went ahead and moved my current fish over to the new house and I guess the guys doing work on the new house turned the power off for a little while in the cold and they all died... That was not a good day.

Plan is February we should be able to move in, that is when I can start setting things up. I will start with my quarantine setup and then I can place an order for some fish.

The good news of everything, I will have a fish room and while we are getting work done I am having the amps to the house upped. They will be running a 100amp breaker to the room and it will have floor drains.

• Sad
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am very sorry to hear of the cold treatment. That's terrible!
Good luck finishing everything to finally move and set up again.

Reactions: deeda

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I was not able to pull the trigger on this yet. Still plan on it, we are in the middle of moving so I had to tear down everything. We sold our house already and we have closed on our new house, but we can't move in yet since we are having some work done. In between houses right now, I went ahead and moved my current fish over to the new house and I guess the guys doing work on the new house turned the power off for a little while in the cold and they all died... That was not a good day.

Plan is February we should be able to move in, that is when I can start setting things up. I will start with my quarantine setup and then I can place an order for some fish.

The good news of everything, I will have a fish room and while we are getting work done I am having the amps to the house upped. They will be running a 100amp breaker to the room and it will have floor drains.
That is just awful!! I know the pain of keeping fish and buying a new home. I ended up giving my fish away before our last move and basically starting over after we got settled in. Can't wait to see your new system start up.

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
So as with all construction projects everything has taken significantly longer, still going on, but we are finally moved in, still setting everything up. Finally getting to setup the fish room I have been banished to a smaller area so I will have to be a little more creative with how I set things up.

I will post pics and updates once I make some headway.

Reactions: Fguinan and deeda

gmaniac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2016
Missouri, US
REVIVE! Haha!

I am reviving this thread because I am finally getting close to placing this order. I have been working on my new fish room, I will have quarantine setup in my office. While these grow out I will continue to work on the fish room. Working on the plumbing currently, I will take some pictures and post them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store