Discusguy

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
my tank is bare bottom, not a fan of decorating aquarium.
I get it.... It's a lot of work and time too keep a community tank with decorations, live river rock, other schools. But I'm the kind of guy who doesn't put my dobie in a kennel for most of its life either. As for fish bioligy, just had a doctor tell me that small mouth bass can't eat trout schmolts due too having a small mouth. Interesting

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Beautiful fish. Immaculate tank. What I'm getting at is building an ecosystem in a tank like mine takes years and it will hyper grow fish. Here are the oscars that got removed for the discuss. Tank and all are going too a friend20170918_202701.jpg . And yes these oscars are less than 1 year old and were in a community tank bio filtered. Decorated , current. No problems. No diseases. Bacteria is great for a tank. Just takes time20170918_202701.jpg

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Since you asked to see pics of BB tanks:

Here is a fast pic of my BB starboard discus tank. Custom 180 with external overflow - 18 tony tan discus (well 2 Stendker). All under a year old and when taken out of the tank and measured are 5.5" total length already. Automatic waterchanges with RO/DI water plus pothos and peace lilies growing out of sump. Recently added a 3rd kessil light so less shadows on the wood and 3 sets have now started breeding, I saw babies in the tank but they didn't last long, but was cool to see the eggs hatch at least.

It's hard to see the 2ft depth of the tank with the plants growing on the wood and rock in the pic.

Discus.jpg

Reactions: Dloks and decoy50

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Guys. Growout your discus first, please! They are often stunted in planted aquariums because during the growth stage they produce huge amounts of debris and nitrate that ideally needs a bare bottom tank to keep on top of.

Reactions: decoy50
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store