Dislocated Jaw

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi all, long time no see.

One of my goldfish (named Fillet) has what looks like a dislocated jaw, what do I do?

Specs: Outdoor pool/pond approx 6000ltrs (roughly 1600gal)

Occupants: 5 goldfish ranging from 10" to 5"

Set up for a couple of years now, nothing new added in over 12 months.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20-40ppm (I can't tell the difference on the chart)

Water changes were done every month (more frequently if I had nothing to do) but I don't know if Jeff (ex) kept up with them after I left, he says he did but I'm guessing he's lying because the nitrate almost never reached 20ppm while I was here.

The fish in question is about 5yrs old and not very strong genetically - that is, he's tiny compared to his brother and sisters and no where near as big as a 5yr old goldie should be.

Fed NLS thera+a as staple (usually between 15-20 pellets thrown in at a time) and assorted fruits and veg as treats. They also eat any bugs that land in the pond. It is currently winter so they've only been fed pellets two or three times since late May and only 2-3 pellets each when it starts getting really cold as they don't eat much while its cold.

I'm not 100% sure how long he's been like this. I'm currently homeless and my ex has all our fish (and cats) so I can only go off of what I'm told.
Apparently he was fine a week ago, then he was hiding for a few days and only just emerged today when I visited.

His jaw is open but when my ex tried gently applying pressure it closed, only to pop back open once the pressure was gone. There's nothing stuck in his mouth that we can see, I'll attach a pic below.

All the other fish in the pond are fine, swimming normally, inquisitive when I approached the pond, ate like pigs etc.

He's also swimming funny, he swims with an exaggerated wobble if that makes sense? I'm trying to convince Jeff to move him to a QT tank because of the wobble but he wont unless he absolutely has to, which I'm sure you guys can help determine. He's also not swimming very much, he's so bogged down that Jeff was able to scoop him out with his hand whereas before he couldn't catch him with a large net. I don't know if that's because of his jaw or if there's another underlying issue, I've not dealt with this before.

He's the smallest fish in the pond and I raised him from an egg. I don't want to lose him, please help!

Pics:IMG_20180829_161119.jpg

If I've forgotten anything just ask and I'll fill you in, I'm really tired and not thinking properly so please excuse any spelling errors and the like.
Any help would be wonderful, thanks in advance.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Does it look like it’s able to feed? Would try and press on the jaw and see if there’s give. If there’s resistance then I’d try a little clove oil 0.5ml per g (bubbler in bucket) and anesthetize the fish. Then try to manually push it back. Then place the fish back in bucket with normal tank water with a bubbler. Once it comes to can see if the mouth is moving again. If not moving despite manipulating the mouth and not able to feed then I’d put the fish down.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Does it look like it’s able to feed? Would try and press on the jaw and see if there’s give. If there’s resistance then I’d try a little clove oil 0.5ml per g (bubbler in bucket) and anesthetize the fish. Then try to manually push it back. Then place the fish back in bucket with normal tank water with a bubbler. Once it comes to can see if the mouth is moving again. If not moving despite manipulating the mouth and not able to feed then I’d put the fish down.
When my ex put a bit of pressure on his bottom jaw yesterday his mouth closed, but popped back open as soon as his fingers weren't there.

I don't know if he's able to feed like that, he wasn't interested in the food when I tried feeding them - the others all ate like pigs but poor Fillet was uninterested.

I've convinced Jeff to move him to a QT tank, unfortunately most of the QT tanks we have are buried under a mountain of my junk in the spare room so he's stuck with either a 50ltr or 100ltr QT tank.

Apparently his wobble isn't as bad today and he's only wobbling a little bit, but his mouth is still stuck open. Jeff said he'll give him a day or two in the QT tank and if his mouth hasn't fixed itself he'll try putting it back manually, which he's a little nervous about so he's been on a google rampage trying to learn the safest way to do it.

Thanks heaps for responding, I really don't want to lose my baby without knowing we tried everything first. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store