Dither fish?

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
So I want some dither fish for my 45 gallon breeder tank for my blue acara pair. I had 12 silvertip tetras but they were too aggressive and fin nippy. They did more harm then good for my relaxed acaras! So I want a mellow calm, tight, schooling tetra. Preferably pretty! I was looking at serpaes and black phantom man tetra. My lfs has a diamond variety that's awfully neat looking. What do you guys use for dithers and any suggestions for my tank?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I'm not a big tetra fan given I like fish that are more interactive with me. Would zebra danios or some giant danios work for you? I've never had them be nippy to other fish. What about some platys?

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
I'm not a big tetra fan given I like fish that are more interactive with me. Would zebra danios or some giant danios work for you? I've never had them be nippy to other fish. What about some platys?
See I have the cichlids to interact with but I just want something to distract them but still look nice. Danios are crazy fast and make my head spin And idk if platys school?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
See I have the cichlids to interact with but I just want something to distract them but still look nice. Danios are crazy fast and make my head spin And idk if platys school?
Platys kind of shoal together. Same with danios. They don't typically hang in one big cloud-o-fish. Like you say, you'll have to stick with some sort of tetras for that. You'll typically have some bickering among the school depending on the male/female ratio, etc.

Reactions: Dustin3006

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
lemons would be good or bleeding hearts for a bit more size. if you like the streamlined shape you could go with rummy nose or maybe bloodfins.

i agree about the silvertips being to nippy and snarky

also as far as interactive, the larger the school the calmer and more interactive they will be

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
lemons would be good or bleeding hearts for a bit more size. if you like the streamlined shape you could go with rummy nose or maybe bloodfins.

i agree about the silvertips being to nippy and snarky

also as far as interactive, the larger the school the calmer and more interactive they will be
My silvertips were terrible! I had a decent school of them too. I really like rummy nose but I heard those are extremely active and Dart around the tank 24/7. Have you ever had any luck with emperor tetras?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store