DIY canister filters

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
FX4 and 6 both have dual outlets(I believe).1534180228254-528693686.jpg
So what you end up with is more of a dual circulation going on. Well in my tank as I have no wave maker/circulation pumps in the tank. The purple is my flow pattern
20180813_100300.jpg

I am sure there are some single outlets I could use to make it like your original.

Note:I also have an AC110 on each side dumping into the middle of each one.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yea that’s one of the videos I saw, I’d be curious so see how they fare for those who have made them. Also for those who run multiple canisters, how do you set up your intake/out take flows. I’ve been using the photo I’m posting but that’s only from top view.

View attachment 1330018
I made these and they work great until you shut the power off. With power off and water above you have no way to relieve the pressure and something will and did fail. The main point of failure is the seal at the point you open the canister, it started leaking about a minute after power was cut. I tried gasket silicone (not sealer just lube) to help it seal which gave it a few more minutes. I tested this with just 30 gallons over it, I couldnt imagine 125 or my 180 over it. I added an electronic sprinkler valve to the intake that shut when power was off and that worked great but it's a point of failure and I didnt trust that it wouldnt fail and flood my living room. After multiple tries and different fail points I realized its too big a risk to try and save a couple bucks. I also realized a drilled tank with sump would be that absolute best coarse of action as canisters are a PIA to clean anyway. I was really bummed and was quite angry at that video. I went back and watched it a few times and realized he never really addresses that issue in any real way. I felt/feel it is very irresponsible of him to post that and not address it properly and then if you read the comments he basically tells you to quit being cheap and buy his book for full details hes not answering questions on the subject anymore. Ive tried a few of his highnesses diy builds and I find them lacking in any real longevity. I am very mechanically inclined. I am an ASE certified mechanic in multiple areas engine and transmissions being two of them. This was not outside my ability and anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to accomplish it. Its the design that is flawed. Make your life safe,dry, and easy to with a sump or a couple ac110s.

Reactions: Dloks

Caesar 4444

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2018
Yea that’s one of the videos I saw, I’d be curious so see how they fare for those who have made them. Also for those who run multiple canisters, how do you set up your intake/out take flows. I’ve been using the photo I’m posting but that’s only from top view.

View attachment 1330018
I actually build it and I am using it for a month or more. It's working best. Check my YouTube channel. I have other systems also working simultaneously i.e. Automatic Bottom Sweeper/Cleaner For Bare Bottom Aquarium and Surface skimming.

Caesar 4444

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2018
I made these and they work great until you shut the power off. With power off and water above you have no way to relieve the pressure and something will and did fail. The main point of failure is the seal at the point you open the canister, it started leaking about a minute after power was cut. I tried gasket silicone (not sealer just lube) to help it seal which gave it a few more minutes. I tested this with just 30 gallons over it, I couldnt imagine 125 or my 180 over it. I added an electronic sprinkler valve to the intake that shut when power was off and that worked great but it's a point of failure and I didnt trust that it wouldnt fail and flood my living room. After multiple tries and different fail points I realized its too big a risk to try and save a couple bucks. I also realized a drilled tank with sump would be that absolute best coarse of action as canisters are a PIA to clean anyway. I was really bummed and was quite angry at that video. I went back and watched it a few times and realized he never really addresses that issue in any real way. I felt/feel it is very irresponsible of him to post that and not address it properly and then if you read the comments he basically tells you to quit being cheap and buy his book for full details hes not answering questions on the subject anymore. Ive tried a few of his highnesses diy builds and I find them lacking in any real longevity. I am very mechanically inclined. I am an ASE certified mechanic in multiple areas engine and transmissions being two of them. This was not outside my ability and anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to accomplish it. Its the design that is flawed. Make your life safe,dry, and easy to with a sump or a couple ac110s.
My system is fail proof with that canister filter, though I have made my way. And I have uploaded video to my YouTube channel, showing the fail proof system at the time of power outage.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
My system is fail proof with that canister filter, though I have made my way. And I have uploaded video to my YouTube channel, showing the fail proof system at the time of power outage.
Link?
I searched you your screen name couldnt find your channel. I'd really like to see what you did.

Caesar 4444

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2018
Link?
I searched you your screen name couldnt find your channel. I'd really like to see what you did.
Sorry....I am new here and due to 6 post limitations, I can't post link but you can search for 'Automatic bottom Sweeper Cleaner' or 'Diy canister filter' on YouTube. My channel name is Caesar. In my last video, I have shown the system by switching off and on the pump.
Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, there is nothing magical about a pressurized can.
It only makes cleaning less user friendly.
And unless your regularly clean the gunk out of your filters, its akin to sweeping dog feces under a rug. Anything not cleaned from a filter is still in the tank, just in a more invisible and often more toxic form (especially as it accumulates).
Matter only changes form, does not go away.

Caesar 4444

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2018
Cleaning is the essence of all filters. You have to clean the waste periodically in order to keep the filter in good shape.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Sorry....I am new here and due to 6 post limitations, I can't post link but you can search for 'Automatic bottom Sweeper Cleaner' or 'Diy canister filter' on YouTube. My channel name is Caesar. In my last video, I have shown the system by switching off and on the pump.
Thanks
So you didnt build a canister filter, you built a sump out of a bucket. A canister filter is a pressurized unit a sump is not. Its a nice build but not a true canister filter. The ones that dont work are not like that his are pressurized and fail. Tricked again! Last time someome had it over the tank and had the tank about 2" low to accommodate the bucket emptying, pump was in the tank. So essentially an over head sump.
This project can not be accomplished as shown in Joey's video without a failure..... sorry massive failure. I did it with about $60 more in parts. But the possibility of a failure because the valve was overworked was too high. I may try to see how long that valve will last constantly working. When it's powered it is working or open and when its off its resting or closed, which in my case is actually working to cut off flow of water.

Reactions: TheWolfman

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
A DIY canister filter is a nightmare waiting to happen. Spend the extra $200 and buy an actual time tested unit. Beats spending the 10k for a new hardwood floor.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store