DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
A minor update today, started a little on the epoxy work.. Have read around, and this is not mentioned\done very often. On VLC`s design he did it in the end, il do it from the beginning, and hopefully will not have problems when i leak test my tank. The thing done is something they name fillets, in all the corners and joints, this is super strong, and will make the joints very strong.. It was not hard to work with.. Hopefully i will be able to start fiberglassing this week. Whe window is made at januar 13, and thats the date when im going to get it :) Its a 3h drive so i have to take a few houres free from work, but its worth it, isnt it ?;)

IMG_1649_resize.JPG

IMG_1651_resize.JPG

IMG_1653_resize.JPG

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
And i also went for 18mm, not the standar 12 or 15.. As you could see earlyer in the thread there is suportbeam on every 40cm :) I donk think it will be a problem.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Looking good and I think you have the right idea about epoxying all the corners and everything. I think fiberglassing it all is also a good idea. Fun watching other people build awesome tanks. Can't wait to do it in future when my wife and I move out of our tiny one bedroom apt. It is nice and cheap, but doesn't allow much space for big tanks :(

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I had to rip it all out, my first setback,a tiny one tho. Hope it didnt ruin to much when it comes to amound of epoxy i got left.. When you mix this all together you have to get the right amount of both fluidz, in this case i think its named "base" and "resin"\herder, i missread the users manual, and had way to little resin in the mixture, so it wouldnt hardn up.. Normaly after you mix it all together, you have 20 minutes to work with, if your not done, throw it away, and make new.. The first time i layd it i was thinking that "you can work with this way over 20 minutes". Offcourse you can, if dont have resin in there.. Well, its fixed now, and its already hardening(didnt do that for about 8 hours the first time, thats when i decided to rip it all out and do it over.. Hopefully there will be fiberglassing and finishing inside on tuesday.. With epoxy you should lay all layers on one day, gonne be though on this one, since its not very easy to get to all the places when you cant tuch anything in there :)

BTW, i use West system Epoxy on this build. As i understand they are world wide, its nice to know.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
The show must go on! a little setback again, a little one this time aswell, no more epoxy left after 3 layers.. I want 5.. atleast.. after second coat you almost didnt use any epoxy, and it went really fast, so its not a hassle to take more layers to be totally sure.. The hassle is that when you dont get to lay all the layers the same day, or within 6-8 houres, you have to rub it all down, wash it, and then start over..(and thats the real setback)..

The fiberglassmath was a little hassle, we made the whole tank in one, but had to cut the corners becouse of air in there(NO AIR!!!!), and reinforced it with a second fiberglassbond over there again..When you coated the fiber it dissapeared, you could see straight throu it, as you can se on the 2 pictures i took of it. I chose to wait with the bottom because of availability(?).

Anyways, enough talk, heeeeeeere we go!

IMG_1657_resize.JPG

IMG_1660_resize.JPG

IMG_1661_resize.JPG

IMG_1668_resize.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store