DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
That's a great idea for the boxes, I don't remember if you're doing a 3d BG, but if you are you could incorporate the boxes into the design to make them look like natural outcrops for the plants to grow out of.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Im not going to do a background, 1. Money, and actually thats the only reason :p This project has gone over 5000$ now i think.. And backgrounds are not known to be cheap over here. Background for a 180 gallon = minimum 500$.. Dont even wanna imagine in this size.

stevenhman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
If your lighting was good, you could use EpiWeb as a background and grow a sheet of moss over the back/sides of your tank. You may want to take a look at this build: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...-new-wooden-hill-stream-tank-constr-jrnl.html and ask its author about how he constructed the rocks he uses. He may also know someone in Norway who has done something similar that you could speak to.

Any way you choose I'm sure it will look great!

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
That was one amazing build for sure! I dont think i can do to much of plants sticking directly from the wall, since there is going to be 9 stingrays in there, i dont think it would last very long! I gotta see what im going to do, im not sure myselfe yet, but i think it would be nice with a littlebit of color from plants in there.. I have some Monstera Deliciosa plants that are going to grow their roots in there, i think that will look pretty awesome.

rustyspurs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
ballynahinch n. ireland
hi looks great man,
instead of hanging your plants from the top of the tank, you could just hang the piece of driftwood from the wooden supports,
i've done the same on my 220 gallon and it can look really natural for the amazon look you want.
heres a pic of my 5ft piece of hawthorn trunk hanging from the top, i could lie and say i planned it this way, i didnt :), it floated when i first put it in and i ended up attaching it to the top as it looked far better..

cant wait to see it finished and stocked.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
They had some color stuff on small boxes, that you just mixed in with it, worked like a charm + you save the topcoat painting.. I did put a 5th coat on the bottom, i think i saw some small holed, 1mm, and didnt feel safe with them. So i bought 1kg more, and layd it all out. Its a hassle when you dont get to do all the coats in one day, you have to wash it with hot water, rubb it all down, then wash it again, and then you can start laying it out..

Now i have to let it dry for two days, and then its windowtime ;) Cant wait! Hoping for testfill in the coming weekend.

That driftwood looks frikking awesome in there! Il definetly have that in mind!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store