DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
hi looks great man,
instead of hanging your plants from the top of the tank, you could just hang the piece of driftwood from the wooden supports,
i've done the same on my 220 gallon and it can look really natural for the amazon look you want.
heres a pic of my 5ft piece of hawthorn trunk hanging from the top, i could lie and say i planned it this way, i didnt :), it floated when i first put it in and i ended up attaching it to the top as it looked far better.
Did u attach it above water? and would it still float or has it become waterlogged?

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Now the window is in, not as big hassle as i was thinking, but still, it had to be planed. I took a picture of a area with the meter on it as the silicon didnt reach all the way down to the edge, could this be a trouble area? There is still 4cm with silicon that is 4mm thick betwen the window and epoxy.. I cant see how this could leak? But still.. When you DIY, you always get worried of small thinks, can someone confirm that this is not an issue? :p

IMG_1705_resize.JPG

IMG_1706_resize.JPG

IMG_1707_resize.JPG

IMG_1708_resize.JPG

IMG_1711_resize.JPG

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
I would take a syringe and just squirt some in there to be safe. I have done this on smaller 160L tank with small air pocket in the corner.
But then again a 160L aint a 1200gal.

rustyspurs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
ballynahinch n. ireland
it'll be fine imo, i have a couple of spots like that around my viewing window and have never had a problem,
you have 4cm of silicone as a barrier so i cant see how water could penetrate.
good luck with the fill, how long are you planning on letting the silicone dry?

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
When I added a large 6' piece of driftwood to my old 315G tank, I put a large piece of acrylic on the bottom of the driftwood and attached it with stainless steel screws. I think I used a 2'x4' piece of acrylic 1/4" thick. I then placed the driftwood in the tank and put substrate on the acrylic......held it on the bottom with no issues at all. Nice build, good luck on the fill!

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
it'll be fine imo, i have a couple of spots like that around my viewing window and have never had a problem,
you have 4cm of silicone as a barrier so i cant see how water could penetrate.
Thats what i was thinking aswell. And its also like 4-5mm thick, we pushed and pushed, but couldnt get it closer to the epoxy.. Any other people have opinions about this?

Im thinking sunday, so that i let it sit for 3,5-4 days... Im nervous as hell! If this is not waterproof im gonna cry all the way to the bank.. This is a 6000$ piece of joy.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
When I added a large 6' piece of driftwood to my old 315G tank, I put a large piece of acrylic on the bottom of the driftwood and attached it with stainless steel screws. I think I used a 2'x4' piece of acrylic 1/4" thick. I then placed the driftwood in the tank and put substrate on the acrylic......held it on the bottom with no issues at all. Nice build, good luck on the fill!
Thats actually a pretty good advice, il might pick you up on that one :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store