DIY Radiant heater for my 1500 gallon tank

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
Plum;4204590; said:
This model circulator is not meant to be used in water which is oxygenated.

So, it is the pump that VL is using to circulate the water that is not ideal, the water heater tank is fine - one would want a circulating pump like the Taco
What he is doing is fine, disregarding heating and plumbing codes. It technically wouldn't pass code, so doing this is wrong. I have to say that. Using a water heater for space heating is violating its osha approval. But it is a grey area in the code book, so it is hard to nail down. But from a mechanical standpoint using a taco 006 or another bronze circulator it will work fine. The system would then need an external check valve installed because the circulator wouldn't have one internally. You also probably wouldn't need as much pex tubing and could go with a smaller size because it would have excellent transfer properties. I used 250' of 3/4 pex coiled in a pool. When the pool water was 75 I was getting a 100 degree drop from supply to return. This was being fed by a 150,000 btu/h boiler and was running nonstop. Thats like a 44,000 watt heater.

Plum

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Canada
leather;4204932; said:
What he is doing is fine, disregarding heating and plumbing codes. It technically wouldn't pass code, so doing this is wrong. I have to say that. Using a water heater for space heating is violating its osha approval. But it is a grey area in the code book, so it is hard to nail down. But from a mechanical standpoint using a taco 006 or another bronze circulator it will work fine. The system would then need an external check valve installed because the circulator wouldn't have one internally. You also probably wouldn't need as much pex tubing and could go with a smaller size because it would have excellent transfer properties. I used 250' of 3/4 pex coiled in a pool. When the pool water was 75 I was getting a 100 degree drop from supply to return. This was being fed by a 150,000 btu/h boiler and was running nonstop. Thats like a 44,000 watt heater.
much appreciated.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
I might have to agree with Leather at this point and concede my previous position.

Just out of curiosity I opened up the ends on the pump and they are horribly rusted already and starting to form small restriction in the outlets.

I suspect I will be replacing this pump with a stainless model in the next year or so.

Live and learn I guess. Still not the end of the world and cheaper than electric heaters.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
There is no doubt VL that your a smart guy and like Leather said from the start he is just trying to help.
I will use the same heating method on my dream 12'x6'x4' ply wood, glass build so it is a win, win for us all because we all learn.
Great tank, sump and heating VL.

kwstas_original

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Greece, Athens GR
Thats defanatly the best way to heat a Monster Tank with low cost.Electricity is too expencive for something like that.
I'm planing my own now, and i'l have some phots from the setup very soon...

Good job!;)

glovanator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Wow, glad to have people like leather on here who can educate us. Really appreciate the input, and knowledge passed on. (great build as well)

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Update on this system..

I am running into an issue where hot water still fills the coil and is now over heating the tank. Even with the pump off. The hot water creeps down the PEX pass the pump and into the coil and it is currently keeping the tank @ 89.4 degrees even thogh the system is set to 83. Only thing I can think of to do to stop this is to put in some sort of solenoid valve before the pump that only opens when the pump is on.

Thoughts?

Anyone else with similar issues?

crawdaddy905

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
These are all quotes from you VLDesign, get off your high horse, we are all here to learn from each other.

"What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's rated........"

"Doesn't matter anyways.. If the pump rots and dies even after 5 years who cares."

"If you don't mind me asking how old are you and what do you do for a living? "

It's a OPEN LOOP
He's (leather) trying to help you

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Which part of my post that read

"I might have to agree with Leather at this point and concede my previous position."

Did you miss?

:screwy:

crawdaddy905;4499424; said:
These are all quotes from you VLDesign, get off your high horse, we are all here to learn from each other.

"What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's rated........"

"Doesn't matter anyways.. If the pump rots and dies even after 5 years who cares."

"If you don't mind me asking how old are you and what do you do for a living? "

It's a OPEN LOOP
He's (leather) trying to help you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store