Does Active Juvenile Polypterus = Active Adult??

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
In the next couple months I plan on getting my first Poly and obviously would like it to be active. From what I've read, Senegal has the reputation as the most active of the Bichirs, but it really comes down to the individual. I've seen people say that they had a lot of variation in individual activity, even within each species.

I was just looking at the current LFS stock and there was this one Palmas that was way more active than the rest, and it made me wonder if that meant he was more likely to be active as an adult.

I know there's no straightforward answer to my question, but in people's experience, does activity as a juvenile usually translate to activity as an adult?

Also, of the smaller species (ansorgii, senegal, poll's, delhezi, buettikoferi), what's the growth rate like? How long to grow an inch as a juvenile and how long to get near full adult size?

Thanks

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Cant really base it off the activity level you see at one moment. They sometimes will just swim around like crazy and other times just sit like a lump. Pretty much depends on the individual fish but the general consensus on a species is usually accurate, for instance the activity level on a sen being better than others.

Just a bit of info for you, the ansorgii you mention is NOT a smaller species. This is based on old info.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congratd on your futue poly...
It really boils down to the individual fish along with having better luck with certian species.
My sen has always been more of a hider, ornate always out an about, usually in the upper portions of the tank when it was smaller it was more shy, del was super active when small but has slowed down a bit. Cb Endlis for me seemed to become more active as they grow

Reactions: Polyaddict86

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Cant really base it off the activity level you see at one moment. They sometimes will just swim around like crazy and other times just sit like a lump. Pretty much depends on the individual fish but the general consensus on a species is usually accurate, for instance the activity level on a sen being better than others.
Yeah, I realize that. I just mean generally. If a juvenile is more active more frequently, will he be more active more frequently as an adult.

Just a bit of info for you, the ansorgii you mention is NOT a smaller species. This is based on old info.
Thanks, I must be using old data

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Congratd on your futue poly...
It really boils down to the individual fish along with having better luck with certian species.
My sen has always been more of a hider, ornate always out an about, usually in the upper portions of the tank when it was smaller it was more shy, del was super active when small but has slowed down a bit. Cb Endlis for me seemed to become more active as they grow
Thanks! Everything seems to confirm it's a crapshoot!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah i felt that cb fish were more active than wc but other members disagreed...so yeah crap shoot. Does seem like certain polys are worse than others. Gold dust and old lap always hid. Newer lap is more active.

Interest to see what others have to say

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'd start with upperjaws delhezi, Senegal, and palmas polii if your wanting constant activity and sizes near or under 12" the others such as beutikofferi, retropinnis, & similar uj like their hiding spots.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I'd start with upperjaws delhezi, Senegal, and palmas polii if your wanting constant activity and sizes near or under 12" the others such as beutikofferi, retropinnis, & similar uj like their hiding spots.
Well I'm not set on near or under 12", I'm still planning the tank out and am not rock solid on any aspect other than that I want a poly. I would love to get a big endli or ornate, and I may, but obviously that changes the direction of the setup. Fortunately I have a big basement to play with and a fiance that loves all fish she doesn't have to take care of, so I have some flexibility.

How about this additional question: Of all the Poly's you've kept, what was the species of your absolute favorite? All factors taken into consideration and no size restrictions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store