Does any active member keep poison dart frogs?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'm sure you will get it down in the first few tries. You've got the mind for the challenge. Springtails will just snack on the live plants and reproduce right? Kind of like mini grasshoppers?

I really love the way this sounds. I'm playing designs in my mind.

You know how I like to play with acrylic...

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The spring tails actually live in the soil and help to break down waste. They will eat any mold, fungi, and other unwanted stuff and convert it into food for the plants. Same with the isopods. Any of these workers who venture up to the plants become frog food. The target is to create a sort of mini ecosystem in your vivarium. When you build your substrate layers you start with a false bottom...I used perelite. Then a layer of nylon screen. This gives a permeable barrier for drainage and keeps your soil layer healthy and well drained. A layer of charcoal will purify your drainage water, and ABG substrate gives the plants and micro/macro fauna something to live in. Spagnum and live mosses on that, and some leaf litter to top it off. If set properly, your vivarium won't need to be cleaned for years. My next vivarium will be a bit fancier, I'm incorporating a small waterfall and stream into it. Bromiliads are a plant that are important in the dart frog hobby. The frogs use them for breeding and will deposit hatched tadpoles into the pools of water that collect in the stems where the leaves come out. Pretty cool!

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Just to share , took these pics when I visited the Resort World Sea Aquarium in Singapore

It also has the world largest aquarium and largest acrylic panel. The panel is 36 metres wide by 8.3m tall and 700mm thick and weighs 250,000 kg

20170814_155227.jpg

20170814_155221.jpg

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Very nice! Quite a mix of frogs right there! Looks like terribilis, tinctorius, auratus, and at least a couple other species. Good thing it's a very large vivarium or mixing those species would never work! Really cool

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
if irem correctly, top half are the plants and frogs, bottom half are water and fishes...

captive bred dart frogs are poison less?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store