Does anyone have any experience with gobioides peruanus??

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
From reading I’ve been doing, it’s a smaller version of the violet goby that’s able to tolerate freshwater better but does not tolerate full marine setups as well.
Seems like each species is pretty similar looking or the image search is only revealing gobioides broussonnetii.
If you’ve had the peruanus, where did you get it and was it properly labeled?
Any experience/photos are welcome, just want to learn more about the differentiation of species!

When I was very young, I used to get the dragon gobies petsmart used to stock and would always wonder why they’d never last in my freshwater system! Petsmart would replace them every time with their 14 day guarantee they had until they finally stopped stocking them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm a goby fan, but admit they can be some of the most boring fish as far as action goes, preferring to sit buried in the substrate 90% of the time.
I'm still working on catching peruanus, and although they call it a fresh water species, it seems to do best in brackish water, although it is sometimes found up stream in fresh water, more often than not, it is found in estuaries where sea water, and rivers meet.
Your California water should work well, if you are in an area where pH is above 8,with high alkalinity.
I keep 2 gobies at the moment Awaous banana (the most animated). After an initial period of adjustment of about 2 months where it hid almost all the time, it is now out and chasing cichlids for food scaps.
Awaous can be found from Florida thru Central America, and on the Pacific side southern Mexico thru Panama, Rio San Martin, where mine was caught.
fullsizeoutput_1735.jpeg
The tank is a 180 gal, water pH of around 8.
The other goby is more recent, caught on Taboga up in the hills by one of the locals, Eleotris picta.
If I'm lucky, I see it about once per week, otherwise it stays buried, and under rock overhangs, only coming out when the right food is offered. It will eat a crayfish or shrimp almost its same length.
It is found from California thru Peru, and even on the Galapagos. Mine was caught on Isla Taboga Panama, where no freshwater fish are generally found.
fullsizeoutput_16fe.jpeg
Below, it spent almost an hour motionless stalking a shrimp 2/3 its size, before a lightning strike.
fullsizeoutput_16f3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16db.jpeg

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I'm a goby fan, but admit they can be some of the most boring fish as far as action goes, preferring to sit buried in the substrate 90% of the time.
I'm still working on catching peruanus, and although they call it a fresh water species, it seems to do best in brackish water, although it is sometimes found up stream in fresh water, more often than not, it is found in estuaries where sea water, and rivers meet.
Your California water should work well, if you are in an area where pH is above 8,with high alkalinity.
I keep 2 gobies at the moment Awaous banana (the most animated). After an initial period of adjustment of about 2 months where it hid almost all the time, it is now out and chasing cichlids for food scaps.
Awaous can be found from Florida thru Central America, and on the Pacific side southern Mexico thru Panama, Rio San Martin, where mine was caught.
View attachment 1379474
The tank is a 180 gal, water pH of around 8.
The other goby is more recent, caught on Taboga up in the hills by one of the locals, Eleotris picta.
If I'm lucky, I see it about once per week, otherwise it stays buried, and under rock overhangs, only coming out when the right food is offered. It will eat a crayfish or shrimp almost its same length.
It is found from California thru Peru, and even on the Galapagos. Mine was caught on Isla Taboga Panama, where no freshwater fish are generally found.
View attachment 1379475
Below, it spent almost an hour motionless stalking a shrimp 2/3 its size, before a lightning strike.
View attachment 1379476
View attachment 1379477
This is all very good info! I really like the Awaous. Just too bad they all hide too much. Good personal experience there.
Are there visual differences between the peruanus and the broussonnetti? Or is it just catch points?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I couldn't be sure about difference except peruanus is supposed to stay much smaller, but I haven't found any yet.
What I'd really like to find, would be some of the Sicydium species, as they are small enough to be suitable for an average aquarium, and inhabit fresh water streams.
The Awaous (now that its acclimated), doesn't hide like it used to, it spends a lot of time sifting sand in open areas.

Reactions: tlindsey and Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I couldn't be sure about difference except peruanus is supposed to stay much smaller, but I haven't found any yet.
What I'd really like to find, would be some of the Sicydium species, as they are small enough to be suitable for an average aquarium, and inhabit fresh water streams.
The Awaous (now that its acclimated), doesn't hide like it used to, it spends a lot of time sifting sand in open areas.
Those look pretty cool when their blue comes in

Reactions: tlindsey

Jaymesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Daytona Beach fl
Spiny cheek sleepers and emerald sleepers can do full Marie and back to 0 salinity at any given time o got a few i switch back and forth never lost any if that get fin rot in great i put them in my reef tank that adapt

IMG_20191215_115229.jpg

IMG_20191215_114447.jpg

IMG_20191213_090741.jpg

IMG_20191213_090542.jpg

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
HI.I am strongly suspect that I have gobioides peruanus. It is ordered from Europe.
The time will tell if it survives in a freshwater aquarium...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store