Does my new clown have ich?

evabug1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Milky Way
He's probably thinking, maybe if I lay down it will minimize the beating lol. Loaches are too funny. Here's a pic (sorry for the poor quality) of one of my loaches making a pillow out of a couple of his buddies.20150522_190601.jpg

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Ha, ha. They are funny when doing that. Yours is sort of smart, using the others as a cushion. Mine is sort of stupid, using himself as a cushion for others :) And it's always the same loach doing it....

My small clown loach shows some very interesting behaviour using my fingers for additional purposes. I often feed him 2mm NLS pellets holding them between my fingers and he'd grab them one by one taking time to chew them in between. Sometimes he can't quite get a hold of the pellet in his mouth and it would be half way in only. They are small enough for him to grab but big enough to be easily swallowed at once. So to push it in, he'd go back to my finger while holding the pellet, press his mouth against it so the pellet goes in fully in his mouth. Then he chews it happily.

They probably do that when eating from the substrate to help them get bigger pellets in their mouths, I just had never paid attention how they eat. But because the small clown won't leave my fingers until he's sure he's eaten all pellets I hold, he's figured he can use my fingers for this purpose :)

Reactions: evabug1

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well, I tried to catch the clown loach today to move him but no joy.
I did catch most of the platies though and they've joined the adults in another tank. They were stupid enough to bunch inside a net in which I placed bloodworms.

Any ideas how to catch the clown loach without stressing him or there's no other way? Right now he's hiding and I think he kind of figured what I was doing to the platies.

evabug1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Milky Way
That is interesting feeding behavior! You must be patient to hand feed him like that and very accommodating to let him use your fingers as a tool. :)

I find lowering the water level down to a few inches helps a great deal and removing anything they can hide under or that will inhibit maneuvering the nets. I use one large net to catch them and a smaller net in my other hand to herd them into the big net. I usually move my nets slowly so that they aren't frightened into zooming around.

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The moss has overtaken the tank so I have to remove it too as he loves going behind it/amongst it. I know that I can catch him by chasing him with a net. The tank is small and has no hiding places. He sleeps under the sponge which is the prefilter for the UV so that's about the only hiding place. I am going to try to figure a less stressful way. I have to get a ceramic tube or something and get him while he sleeps in it or similar approach. I tried putting a plastic cup and food inside it. He went in but he's too fast for me so he ran out by the time I tried to block the exit. Human vs clown loach :)

The hand feeding is fairly easy and not time consuming. I just grab 3-4 small pellets and he has them chomped down in a minute or two. This way several times a day alongside frozen stuff here and there. Only if I feed him the spirulina stick it takes time as in the video as he can't bite it and swallow it though he tries :) But yes, alongside daily water changes it still takes enough time.

My larger clowns used to hand feed for a period of time but me being busy sometimes I left them months without doing it, just throwing the food in and now they know they don't need to work for it as it will fall down eventually because I'll lose patience waiting for them to come up....
But when they did, it helped me figure out clown loaches don't hurt when they bite, even my big clown was very gentle. And their skin is so smooth like velvet on the touch....very different from other fish.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Oh, gosh. I just found my clown loach on the floor. He had jumped out of the tank(open top I know) He was alive and I grabbed him with my hands and put him in directly with the big guys. He was rolling over the carpet when I found him and I have a dog so may have snatched a few hairs. I hope he's ok. He's swimming with the other clown loaches already.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
There doesn't seem to be any scars on him but the lights are not on yet. I hope he doesn't turn dead from the shock. He seems ok right now..

Here is him amongst the others just after I dropped him in the tank after the stunt. He appears at the start and at around 0:33

evabug1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Milky Way
Good thing you were nearby when he made a leap for freedom. He looks like he'll be fine. You could keep the lights off for 24 hours to give him some extra time to settle in if you wanted.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hi Eva. Thanks for your reply.
He's been fine I'd say. I got him just as he jumped out and it wasn't too much of a shock. His own tank was manky when I cleaned it up and I think that's why he jumped out. I fed way too much but he's looking good for the wear.

He's been sleeping with the bigger boys since in their cave but he still doesn't "dance" with them. I don't think he's fully integrated in the group yet.
Every morning my clown loaches beg for food at the front. Little loach is on the side or observing behind a plant or object until I drop the food. Then he comes out. He no longer comes to me for food :)

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I took a few shots but they all came out blurry. Anyway, it looks like small loach has finally made friends with my other 3 smallest loaches. Maybe he's intimidated by the bigger ones. He's the one with the black nose on the left.

Clowns2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store