Doing water changes on large aquariums

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I talked to someone at my LFS and they said this heater is pretty good

what are your thoughts on this one?
I've always liked the titanium heaters over the glass ones, for the obvious reasons. You can still have some of the same issues with the control either staying on or off but you don't have to worry about breakage. When I used heaters I use finnex titanium rods with one of their controllers or one from ink bird. I have a couple 500s and a couple 800s laying around still just in case.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I would get extra so if one stopped working I would have another. Would I need the 500 or the 800 for a 180 gallon tank?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
That would work. If I was getting one today, I'd consider the inbird on amazon with dual plugs where you can run two titanium heaters. Just confirm max wattage base on the specific model.

It contols heat (and coolers) has high/low alarm and can be a controlled via phone app. It's not made for aquarium per se but some have used it for the application.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I would get extra so if one stopped working I would have another. Would I need the 500 or the 800 for a 180 gallon tank?
I'd go 500. It's over kill but there are a couple schools of thought on that. 1 it doesn't have to work as hard or be on as much as a smaller one. You could go 800 for the same reason. But then you also have the issue if it sticks on..... It's kind of a gamble with these devices really. So some where in the 300 to 800 range. 300 x2 would be good if one failed in either direction, on two different controllers obviously.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I will probably get the 500 or place two 300s in each corner.
Thanks for all the help everyone

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Not that you need this, I’ve got this WiFi gadget on my hot/cold mix out line I can set it to run for x amount of gallons, or so much time, or use voice assistant to turn on/off.

good tips up there!

I’m sure we have all spilled a gallon or two...

fans too, I run a fan when I’m slinging water about...

FD252D7A-B058-4BB3-982E-DB0BB64F5F8B.png

Reactions: twentyleagues

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Pythons definitely beat using 5 gallon buckets. To go easier, you would need the tank plumbed for water changes. Others have mentioned drains. Our mechanical uptakes are vertical pipes extending down to just off the floor. When doing a water change, we close valves and open others.

1583194035165.png

On the extreme right behind the vertical pipe is another pipe going downwards. The pipe goes under the house and to the patio. Opening up the valve drains the tank. The tall vertical pipe is from a 55 gallon tank sitting on a shelf. There are hot/cold water lines from a utility sink that fill the holding tank. After draining water, we close the drain valve and open the "fill" valve and turn the pump back on. We also have the faucet on refilling the holding tank. While theoretically, the water can gravity flow into the main tank, it's faster to pump the water back via the mechanical filtration system.

Planning something similar for the big system. Will probably just purge the Ultima II 4000s to remove water from tank and sump. No holding tank, but there are hot and cold water lines to the tank and sump, and we have an on demand water heater so should not run out of hot water. I can't think of anything else that would make our water changes any easier.

Reactions: celebrist and DN328

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I probably wouldn’t set up that much plumbing but I would do some. I think using the python would be the best for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store