Don’t go in the tall grass....

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
I have been fortunate up to this year... I have a fair bit of land with heavy wooded areas which means daddy long legs, brown recluse, and wolf spiders. This is in addition to the fox, coyote, deer, opossum, ground hogs, raccoons, and other small critters.

I wore shorts and steel toed boots while working in the forest. Somehow a brown recluse or wolf spider got in my boot and had a field day with my pinkie toe. 2 months later and I'm still dealing with it. So as the post says... don't go in the tall grass.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hendre Hendre you know what tortoise species that is?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Probably an angulate tortoise

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
I'm a nature geek myself. I live near Metro Park so seeing deer, raccoons,possums is a treat. The rare appearance of fox and coyote. I get excited when I see a praying mantis my favorite insect. Took in a egg sac and about 200 little mantis emerged lol. Released them on plants of the flower bed. In Ohio 500 dollar fine if caught killing a praying mantis.
If you love mantis, look at this google 3D live images, they are awesome, and yes, don't forget to zoom in!!

Mantis: take a closer look. Tap to learn more on Google.

Reactions: tlindsey

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Cicada are pretty interesting. Is it every 7 yrs that they appear?
Depending on the type it is anywhere from 2-17yrs!
I believe the one I took a picture of is a northern dusk singing cicada.
I have been fortunate up to this year... I have a fair bit of land with heavy wooded areas which means daddy long legs, brown recluse, and wolf spiders. This is in addition to the fox, coyote, deer, opossum, ground hogs, raccoons, and other small critters.

I wore shorts and steel toed boots while working in the forest. Somehow a brown recluse or wolf spider got in my boot and had a field day with my pinkie toe. 2 months later and I'm still dealing with it. So as the post says... don't go in the tall grass.
Oh man! That sounds awful ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Depending on the type it is anywhere from 2-17yrs!
I believe the one I took a picture of is a northern dusk singing cicada.

Oh man! That sounds awful ?
That's what I get for being comfortable over practical. Next time will be pants even if it is over 90.

Reactions: MrsE88

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's what I get for being comfortable over practical. Next time will be pants even if it is over 90.
After seeing several ticks on my last hike, I am with you on that. A result of my brothers insect interest are a pair of eagle eyes, I see all the ants and little critters running around. Some of them can be seen here:

Reactions: MrsE88

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Hi All, This particular post/thread is most interesting topic/post I have ever read and studied. I spent 3 hours reading and enjoying all posts and pictures, You all guys are TRUE animal lovers, I hope I could be in that extent, but I am sure, having and reading all your posts, all your observations, knowledge and love to these spectacular guys, will make me more affectionate person towards wildlife.

Well, I do enjoy these creatures and have a full respect towards them, the only thing I need to work on is my fear to them, specially insects...some venom species which I can't identify...

I do enjoy the google 3D animals and insects here... If you don't know, here is how to use 3D augmentation reality, and place them in your room....

Leiodidae: take a closer look. Tap to learn more on Google.

Scroll down and tap on "view in 3D" and enjoy 3D view with 360 degree, then click in "view in your space"... And there they are with you virtually on your lap or in your room..

Google adding new animals in 3D augmentation day after day, and yes, Google team is creative for sure!!

Hope you like this google thing and sorry if I am posting it again (I guess I post the same thing in replying to one of our Member here!)

Enjoy, have a great weekend...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store