Don’t go in the tall grass....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
After seeing several ticks on my last hike, I am with you on that. A result of my brothers insect interest are a pair of eagle eyes, I see all the ants and little critters running around. Some of them can be seen here:
Cool video!
All the ants give me flashbacks to my trip down to Florida. I didn’t realize I was standing on an ant hill while walking my dog. I’ve never been attacked by ants before that. It was painful!
I must say my favorite part was at 10:01;) Love guineas!

Hi All, This particular post/thread is most interesting topic/post I have ever read and studied. I spent 3 hours reading and enjoying all posts and pictures, You all guys are TRUE animal lovers, I hope I could be in that extent, but I am sure, having and reading all your posts, all your observations, knowledge and love to these spectacular guys, will make me more affectionate person towards wildlife.

Well, I do enjoy these creatures and have a full respect towards them, the only thing I need to work on is my fear to them, specially insects...some venom species which I can't identify...

I do enjoy the google 3D animals and insects here... If you don't know, here is how to use 3D augmentation reality, and place them in your room....

Leiodidae: take a closer look. Tap to learn more on Google.

Scroll down and tap on "view in 3D" and enjoy 3D view with 360 degree, then click in "view in your space"... And there they are with you virtually on your lap or in your room..

Google adding new animals in 3D augmentation day after day, and yes, Google team is creative for sure!!

Hope you like this google thing and sorry if I am posting it again (I guess I post the same thing in replying to one of our Member here!)

Enjoy, have a great weekend...
I’m glad you enjoyed the thread? Everyone has shared some really cool pictures of the critters living around them. Life can get so hectic and busy we can often miss all the life around us. It’s nice to slow down for a moment and just observe?

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Cool video!
All the ants give me flashbacks to my trip down to Florida. I didn’t realize I was standing on an ant hill while walking my dog. I’ve never been attacked by ants before that. It was painful!
I must say my favorite part was at 10:01;) Love guineas!

I’m glad you enjoyed the thread? Everyone has shared some really cool pictures of the critters living around them. Life can get so hectic and busy we can often miss all the life around us. It’s nice to slow down for a moment and just observe?
Thanks, Yes on the ants comments, my daughter when she was 2 years, she stepped on ants hill and within seconds, she was attacked by 100+ ants, leaving her painfully, and literally bite on feet, on tummy and up to shoulder. My daughter realized, ran to mom, and my wife did quick turnaround and take her to shower at nearest friend's home in the apt to remove those ants...

My daughter is now 6 but still she has black marks of bites on her feet, we using medorma and vitamin C ointments but not quite effective..

On the second incident, my wife was near dumpster and fire ant bit her, she was in extreme pain and her body was started swelling, immediately we rushed to emergency and started treatment, my wife has fire ant bite allergies and she needs shots if that repeats in future...

Well, in shorts, my family is NOT compatible with these little fellas, we saw enormous pain due to ants, hence we try to keep away from them as far as possible, but kids love to play in grass so we take precautions to make sure they don't come in contact... Luckily, my daughter doesn't seems having allergies because even more than 60 bites, she was all okay, and no swelling observed, but hey we never know how body reacts when she grows up!!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Fire ants are nasty, red imported tropical fire ants especially. Our fire ants are much smaller and just steal brood from other ant nests mostly. The bigger Camponotus and crazy ant species will ruin your day if you disturb their nest though. Especially crazy ants since they bite and spray formic acid (which burns)

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oh yes, that's right. My daughter was crying a lot, and I had to treat her with soap water, and after drying her skins with isopropyl alcohol and then observed her and next day to the doctor.

My wife developed hives, ichy skin after fire ant, and I read that if breathing is slow then rush to emergency which we did. Apparently the lungs can be swelling to prevent air if allergy is severe! And I guess those symptoms she developed, and took it no easy, but at emergency!!!

Anti inflammatory medicines and pain killers are useful before rushing to emer, to make sure patient can breath until she gets to doctor...

That incident costed me 4000+, major covered by insurance, ended up paying 900....

• Wow
Reactions: deeda

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks, Yes on the ants comments, my daughter when she was 2 years, she stepped on ants hill and within seconds, she was attacked by 100+ ants, leaving her painfully, and literally bite on feet, on tummy and up to shoulder. My daughter realized, ran to mom, and my wife did quick turnaround and take her to shower at nearest friend's home in the apt to remove those ants...

My daughter is now 6 but still she has black marks of bites on her feet, we using medorma and vitamin C ointments but not quite effective..

On the second incident, my wife was near dumpster and fire ant bit her, she was in extreme pain and her body was started swelling, immediately we rushed to emergency and started treatment, my wife has fire ant bite allergies and she needs shots if that repeats in future...

Well, in shorts, my family is NOT compatible with these little fellas, we saw enormous pain due to ants, hence we try to keep away from them as far as possible, but kids love to play in grass so we take precautions to make sure they don't come in contact... Luckily, my daughter doesn't seems having allergies because even more than 60 bites, she was all okay, and no swelling observed, but hey we never know how body reacts when she grows up!!
Oh dear, poor girls. They are nasty little things when you disturb them.
Fire ants are nasty, red imported tropical fire ants especially. Our fire ants are much smaller and just steal brood from other ant nests mostly. The bigger Camponotus and crazy ant species will ruin your day if you disturb their nest though. Especially crazy ants since they bite and spray formic acid (which burns)
Yikes! They spray acid?! ?

Reactions: AlphaTintu

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Oh dear, poor girls. They are nasty little things when you disturb them.

Yikes! They spray acid?! ?
Formic acid is one of the most common biological weapons ants possess, it's a simple Carboxylic acid. Named after Formica (ants), the Formicine ants (HUGE group) often use it in defending themselves. Isn't really harmful to us and is tolerable if you're prepared for it. I am much more afraid of stinging ants, since those hurt.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have only seen fireflies way up North when I went on Orange river, they're so cool! Luciferase is a super interesting compound

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store