*******DONT ASK IF THEY'RE BANNED************

Hesh69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Sri Lanka
benzjamin13;3468465; said:
If Snakeheads are legal in your area, then you have nothing to worry about. This forum talks about responsible fish keeping and asking for illegal species is not responsible. If they are legal in your area, then you have nothing to complain about. People asking for illegal species can get the forum in major trouble. Hence we prevent it. So is it a threat? It's more like a promise.;)
no dude u dont get it..i jst ASKED him to speak nicely..nywz forget it no point of talking!!! over and out :)

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
tropheus;2726846; said:
only in md , all other us states carry a state ban on keeping them also ,with no clause included for fish allready owned .

unfortunatly some canadian states also carry the no keeping ban also , inc. yours :irked:

cheers col
Ummm....We have provinces.....not states!!;)

CSnyder00

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Snakeheads were being kept in tanks and then being released into the wild and overtaking local populations and then furthering themselves into other waterways. If fish keepers would have been responsible in the first place and either rehomed them or bought a tank big enough to keep them in once they grew to adult size, we would not have this ban. It's not the governments fault. They are trying to correct the mistakes that irresponsible fish keepers made. Don't get made at the government, get made at the people that kept these fish without any knowledge of how big they would get and how aggressive they would be. Or at least ignored the information if they did get it.

UNLESS YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND THE TANK SPACE, DON'T BUY PREDATORY FISH!

I have nothing against people keeping these fish. I do have a problem with people trying to buy fish they have no business owning. You can't put an oscar in a 20 gallon tank. They will get so big they won't be able to turn around in it. Some people are ignorant. If you have massive tanks, have at it. More power to you. If you don't, keep tetras!

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
i just asked i didnt know this was the case sorry please do not ban me

jack-knife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2009
Underwater
anyone have any word on if they are even thinking about lifting the ban???
:confused::confused:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sadly, the level of the ban is increasing with more states rewriting their restricted lists to coincide with the federal ban. Count on things getting much worse before they get better.
Look what happened with the clarias cat. Many states went so far as to ban ALL air-sac cats within the same Family as Clarias.

Lovebigfish

Feeder Fish
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
I have kept snakeheads (I do not care to mention what kind of fish I currently have) most of my adult life and I am disappointed that it has come to an end because of some irresponsible fish keepers. I think it is unfair what the government has done. They have not examined all the facts about the snakehead species. Many species would not survive our Canadian winter if released into the wild. I think they should at least offer a license for responsible people. I would be willing to get a license, have people periodically monitor my fish and produce evidence of a corpse upon death of the fish. This way they would know that I have the fish, for how long, when and how it died. Therefore it was never released into the wild.
I know this will not happen because our government is too cheap and lazy. It’s much easier for them to just deny everyone this great fish, responsible or not. Great article from Snakeheads.org!

Hutch14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2010
bummerville
Sucks...I have owned snakeheads from juvies to adults..traded them to my local store when i had to move....now i have a 80gal and a 150 gal and no snakeheads....dont think i will ever find them again here in cali..tried al the old haunts..nuthin..looks like the threat of fines is finally working here..

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It is possible to legally possess snakeheads in the U.S. provided that you acquire the necessary permit(s) including this one and any other ones required by your state, municipality, etc.

Please note that the odds of receiving all of the permits are slim/nonexistent for a private individual.

Do your research before even thinking about acquiring a snakehead; you don't want to get most of the permits only to find out that you missed one and then get slapped with a fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store