Doviis....Red and Regulars 3-26-09 load warning!!

darthodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Georgia
cchhcc;2950527; said:
I need some info on the source before I feel comfortable weighing in, but I honestly think I see a little motaguense in there. If you'd have shown me that 5th pic without IDing it, I'd have said mot. (Sorry for even saying that. I hate the "it's a hybrid" nonsense all the time!)
If it is crossed with something I'd say motaguense. Grammodes don't have the red on the gill plates like this fish does. I don't see much grammode in these, but motaguense could be a possibility.

Tonivlc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
España
Very nice pics Mad, and awesome the red colour variation, I never seen him. Thanks for upload them.

Ruck Fules

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Garage
polomax24;2951303; said:
I have seen those dovii with red spots in socal LFS a few years ago. I believe they were bred by one of the online sellers in socal. Damn! I can't remember his name.
Are you talking about Bruce? I saw some at his place when I bought my pair of Haitiensis and Festae from him a few years back.

cichlidinsomniac

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2007
Tampa
those aren't hybrids, I remember a thread on another forum about juvi dovii's with a little red I'm pretty sure someone said that some juvi's have a little red but it goes away with age

capefeartarheel

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
LMU Lab
cichlidinsomniac;2951789; said:
those aren't hybrids, I remember a thread on another forum about juvi dovii's with a little red I'm pretty sure someone said that some juvi's have a little red but it goes away with age
C'mon now...you cant tell that from a picture...and we all know that "someone on a thread said they had red in theirs" doesnt mean a whole lot around here without a link, and even then, gets crucified, lambasted, ripped to shreds for lack of creditiblity for not being on MFK. :naughty:

Ive had 7 doviis, Costa Rican and Nics, 2 sets of fry and have never seen a lick of red on any of them, all of which Ive had from fry to growouts up to 7 inches, wild caught and F1.

cichlidinsomniac

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2007
Tampa
capefeartarheel;2951907; said:
C'mon now...you cant tell that from a picture...and we all know that "someone on a thread said they had red in theirs" doesnt mean a whole lot around here without a link, and even then, gets crucified, lambasted, ripped to shreds for lack of creditiblity for not being on MFK. :naughty:

Ive had 7 doviis, Costa Rican and Nics, 2 sets of fry and have never seen a lick of red on any of them, all of which Ive had from fry to growouts up to 7 inches, wild caught and F1.
let me put it this way then, besides the red on the body what looks different about them?

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Hmm...I think it was a good call having MOTA in them. My RTM below his and it does have a similar pattern, especially on the back...and face.

rtm1.png

rtm2.png

rtm3.png

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
kennye86;2950126; said:
The normal dovii are Costas... GOLD FINS!
Gold fins? do u not see the obvious blue on the fins? They may still be costas, im not a dovii expert at all but I see blue, which i thought would indicate Nic's........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store