Dream displays?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Assuming that my dream tank would not be maintenance free lol... id go 12'x3'x3'. Any bigger and id need one of you guys to clean it for free...stock would be smaller central to south americans. Salvinis...jewels...electric blue acaras...firemouths...some exotic plecos...landscape would be typical cichlid setup with sturdy plants...im a simple guy lol
I love tanks with that proportion. The 8x2x2 240, and I've got a friend with a 36x9x9 (inches, not feet lol). 12x3x3 would be sweet for smaller fish!

Drew

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Yea it would be pretty sweet...and yes i know jewels are african...but the bright red would look good in there. Im not a fan of a tank full of fish the same color....cough

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
I would LOVE a no maintenance 10,000 gallon tank with:

1 bowfin
1 snakehead
2 red tail catfish
1 Alligator gar
10 red belly piranhas
1 Asian Arowana
3 saddled bichirs
1 very big and quick electric crayfish
4 oscars(1 of each)
1 black knifefish
1 vampire fish
1 bala wolf fish
1 snapping turtle(shallow base part included)
1 tiger fish(small type)
3 peacock bass
And also a 30 gallon breeding feeder fish tank.:):D:cool:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
No small type of tigerfish :confused:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
H. forskahlii is the smallest of the tigerfish, they are said to reach 10-12" in an aquarium although FishBase says they can hit 30".

Drew
I'd say they'd easily get 18" if not more. Under ideal conditions they will grow, as with any fish

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Clown killifish are little tigerfish. So are tiger barbs. So are VATF, if you look at GATF. It depends on what you consider 'little' and 'tigerfish'.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Clown killifish are little tigerfish. So are tiger barbs. So are VATF, if you look at GATF. It depends on what you consider 'little' and 'tigerfish'.
That's an interesting way to think about it.
To be fair, size is a very interesting thing. For example, I'm 5'4" - and I've got a family friend who's 6'9". To the average person, that difference in size is pretty big. But if you're scaling things up to an outer-space level of "size", that difference is almost infinitely small. But if we scale down to an atomic level of "size", that difference is almost infinitely large.

To keep the thread from derailing though - I would assume that the OP was talking about a species of Hydrocynus, generally considered to be on the lower end of the size scale. Which brings forskahlii to mind.

Drew

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store