Dream displays?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is a topic that has come up in the past so I figured I would look some older ideas I have had and see how my plans have changed.

Back in 2013 my dream was for this:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My dream tank would be set up as more of a display.

8-10x4x3 water section with an air section 4-5 feet build on top. Main think tying the two sections together would be a large tree. Root structure would be constructed of Malaysian hardwood and landscape foam with a pvc piping structure. Upper section would be made using corkbark, manzanita, and landscaping foam again with a pvc structure. The "tree" would be planted with various epiphytes; bromeliads, tillies, nepenthes mounted as epiphytes, etc.

Water section would be a plywood build with one large window in the front. Probably use epoxy to seal the tank, as I've used this before with some success. Would be stocked with gars, larger doradids and larger plotosidae cats if I ever manage to track some down. The water area would be decorated with some taller growing live plants arranged with driftwood around them to try and prevent them from being disturbed by the fish.

Upper section Would again have one large display window for viewing. Background would be fashioned after a cliff face design using carved foam before being painted. It would be designed with additional pockets for more plants to be planted. The background would extend to the other two sides as well. In the one side would be the hidden door for accessing the tank. Additional decoration would be provided by the use of fake "vines" to give more texture.

Finishing this off would be a misting system installed to keep the humidity up and water the plants. Fans would be mounted on the one wall out of view to blow air across the window to prevent condensation on the glass. Air movement would also be beneficial to the plants. Lastly would be lighting. Probably use a combination of t5's and larger watt led's set on various timers to simulate a gradual increase and decrease in lighting for dawn/dusk.
A couple years later and the main plan was still there with some minor changes:

I'm currently kicking around the idea of a large plywood build. Something along the lines of 13-14' x 4' x 30" and then building up from that another couple feet and having a reptile enclosure. Something highly aquatic like water dragons, basilisks or possibly sailfin dragons. I'd try and have both areas heavily planted.

Fish would concentrate on the gars I already have. Hopefully adding tropical and shortnose to the list. Aside from that there are a bunch of cats on my wishlist right now. Megalodoras, Pterodoras, Centrodoras, and Lithodoras for the doradids. 2 of these are easy to find. The other 2 not so much.

Albino channels are also something I find interesting. Some of the larger auchenipterids like trachycorystes or aqeneiosus if I can find them big enough. I've lost a couple ageneiosus because of the gars trying to eat them. Last for catfish and least likely to find would be some of the aussie cats, neosilurus or tandanus.

I'd plant the aquatic area with lilies, vals, crypts and aponogetons mainly if the catfish don't end up tearing them up. If that doesn't work I'd likely do giant driftwood piles for submerged decor. Above water I'd likely do nepenthes, pothos, bromeliads, orchids. Have these planted amongst larger fake vines and wood piles for whatever reptile I settle on. 3d Background across the entire back and sides. With a waterfall rigged up in one corner.

That's the current plan anyways. Small changes keep happening when I think about it but nothing major.
The main plan that I've been thinking about is still the same. Larger planted vivarium/riparium setup with gars in the water section. I have moved away from catfish, and am more focussed on stingrays right now, so that would be the other fish in the water section. I know an importer that occasionally has Himantura signifer on their list. I think this would be an interesting addition, amongst some of the more commonly kept stingray species.

Lately I've had a big interest in birds, particularly the smaller more peaceful finch species. Adding these into a vivarium setup would be very interesting. Gouldian, Owl, Society, Cordon Blue, etc. Keeping birds in a setup like this doesn't seem to be commonly done, so I would likely have to troubleshoot issues that come up. Fans inside to provide airflow and prevent humidity issues. Would really have to watch for respiratory infections if it's not vented/circulated properly. Plant selection would have to be modified, as there are different toxicity issues between reptiles and birds.

A reptile would likely have to be abandoned if birds are added. They would probably stress the birds out too much. I would want to try and minimize the interactions between the various groups of animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store