Drilling Tanks

Propofol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Olympia, WA
ok. that is not funny. seriously. I don't freaking know. That is why I am asking you. Can the sides of most tanks that you buy at the crappy stores be drilled????

I keep seeing pics in here and other sites that show tanks that are drilled on the sides.

Your answer will not make me run and buy it. Still researching it.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Most of the time they say if they are tempered. They will have a tag on the bottom or have it printed on the glass (bottom). It is quite rare to find a tempered tank that isn't marked.

The exception is 55g tanks. A few manufacturers have flooded the market with tempered 55g (and some 75g's) that are not marked. When sold new, they have a paper tag warning against drilling. Used buyers are the ones have must be careful.

Big_Bichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
Ohio
Drilling glass tanks is a nightmare, best to pay a few bucks extra for one pre-drilled.

Big_Bichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
Ohio
sorry, hit post too soon.
I havent drilled any tanks in a LONG time. When I did, I worked at a fishstore.
The owner had a super old drill that had suction cup mounts to secure it to the glass and it worked like a drill press. You obviously need to keep the glass and bit cool
but dont forget to clmap the sheet of glass you are drilling separately. The vibration can loosen the silicone between pieces. Nothing quite like making it all the way through drilling without cracking the glass only to have a seem give way later on unexpectedly. uggghhh

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Actually, this is the DIY section. It stands for 'Do It Yourself', not 'Dang, I give up when things look hard. Yo"

Reactions: MrsOz

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CHOMPERS;4071200; said:
Actually, this is the DIY section. It stands for 'Do It Yourself', not 'Dang, I give up when things look hard. Yo"
LMAO omg that's beautiful

Nothing like having the satisfaction of knowing you did something yourself.

D-007

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
USA
Hiya Chompers, what happened to the pictures (at the beginning of the thread in particular) ... all I see is a box that says 'Attached Images' but there is nothing in the box? :confused:

orck

Feeder Fish
Jan 14, 2008
Athens, Greece
Very good thread.
Does anybody know why I can't see the pictures?
I know the first posts are old but they should have the pictures, right?

MyJohnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Houston
I need to drill my acrylic tank.

It's massive and it's already sitting on a stand.

What type of drill bit should I use?

Can I drill upside down or do I have to get into the tank to drill it from top down?

Any other tips for a noob?

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
Drilling glass is easy as, after your first hole, you wonder what all the fuss & worry was about. Its the real thin stuff that is a concern, however, thin glass should be classified anywhere close to tankhood status imo.

They wanted $180 for a single drill piece down here, so i told them to stick it & bough from HK as well., For the price & how far they stretch, its good vaule.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store