Drop Eye Prevention Tip

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
I have got a 10 inch Black Arowana at the moment. My four and a half year old Silver knocked off the top to my 360 gallon tank and died last September.

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Drop Eye is all in the genetics of Most of the Silver Aros. All this floating plants, ping pong ball or whatever ppl use to prevent DE is just BS and don't work! And its not head trauma either or fatty tissues behind the eyes.

A few years ago I bought my silver and my black aros, both were juveniles. And i put them both together in a 120 gal. tank where i fed them the same food and grew them up in. i also had plants AND 2 ping pong balls floating on the water surface to try to prevent the DE. and as they grew bigger to about 12"... what do you know... i started to see that my silver had developed a very slight DE, but only in one eye. As it got bigger the DE gotten a lil worst... still just one eye had the DE.

* So floating objects to prevent DE??...... :grinno: DON'T WORK!!!
* Feeding too much fatty foods cause DE??..... :grinno: NOPE!!! (cause i feed my black the same food)
* Head Trauma from hitting the glass walls or lid??..... :grinno: WRONG AGAIN!!! (cause not only my silver does it... i've seen my black bang into the walls and lid all the time, and does it have DE??... :grinno: Not AT ALL!!)

Its Genetics i tell ya.... GENETICS!!!!!!

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
its head trauma ppl have proved it and sum ppls aro jumped out hit the head or sumthing and few hours later eyes developped DE doesnt happen to every1 tho

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Maybe his aro already had the drop eye before it even jumped out, But he never noticed it because it wasn't a bad case of DE. Untill he put the aro back in the tank to carefully examine the fish and finally noticed the DE and just blamed it on the jump.

And there have been known that there are Silvers in the wild that also has DE. So where can those Wild silvers in the Amazon waters jump and fall onto to give themselve the DE???

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
twk1;3053043; said:
Drop Eye is all in the genetics of Most of the Silver Aros. All this floating plants, ping pong ball or whatever ppl use to prevent DE is just BS and don't work! And its not head trauma either or fatty tissues behind the eyes.

A few years ago I bought my silver and my black aros, both were juveniles. And i put them both together in a 120 gal. tank where i fed them the same food and grew them up in. i also had plants AND 2 ping pong balls floating on the water surface to try to prevent the DE. and as they grew bigger to about 12"... what do you know... i started to see that my silver had developed a very slight DE, but only in one eye. As it got bigger the DE gotten a lil worst... still just one eye had the DE.

* Feeding too much fatty foods cause DE??..... :grinno: NOPE!!! (cause i feed my black the same food)
* Head Trauma from hitting the glass walls or lid??..... :grinno: WRONG AGAIN!!! (cause not only my silver does it... i've seen my black bang into the walls and lid all the time, and does it have DE??... :grinno: Not AT ALL!!)

Did you do know that black and silver aros are different species?
Did you do know that better than 95% of large silver aro posted on the net have DE?
Did you do know that currently there is only one black aro with DE pic posted that anyone can even find?

So obviously silver are much more prone to getting DE then blacks. The chance of a black getting DE is very very low. So how can you conclude that since both your black and silver bang against the glass, that DE is no way connected to head trauma?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
yea what brian said they are 2 different species

patatmblife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Hao;3053058; said:
its head trauma ppl have proved it and sum ppls aro jumped out hit the head or sumthing and few hours later eyes developped DE doesnt happen to every1 tho
I do believe head trauma is a really good possibility. After my silver jumped out I noticed one eye had drop eye while the other perfect. I doubt it happened slowly because I do spend alot of time with him and didn't notice anything until he jumped out.

What I don't believe is getting DE from looking down. Other fish look down all the time and never get it. And if they do get by looking down why only one eye for some? And why does it not correct itself after looking up?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
i dont believe looking down either i had 14 bichirs with 1 aro for few month nothing happens

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
twk1;3053043; said:

so... if fat has nothing to do with it... then how come removing the fatty tissues behind the eyes during surgery cures the drop eye?

simply genetics causes some fish to gain eccess amounts of fat much quicker than others, similar to the manner in which some people get fatter easier than others.

on a side note, i have no idea how trauma associates with DE, however, not to mention i've only heard a couple of cases where the owner claims that it happened, too.

/\ mostly just my opinion, except that surgery removing fats does cure DE... the rest... just my speculation :)

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Bderick67;3054117; said:
Did you do know that black and silver aros are different species?
Did you do know that better than 95% of large silver aro posted on the net have DE?
Did you do know that currently there is only one black aro with DE pic posted that anyone can even find?

So obviously silver are much more prone to getting DE then blacks. The chance of a black getting DE is very very low. So how can you conclude that since both your black and silver bang against the glass, that DE is no way connected to head trauma?
Yes I know they are a different species.... But they are very very much similar to one another.. That's why
That's why there are very few black aros that can get DE too as u mentioned. But yes the silvers are more prone to DE due to genetics.
So if u really think head trauma is from bangin into the glass.... Then how do silvers in the wild get there DE?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store