Dumbest display tank you've ever seen?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Is there anything that is the equivalent of the rubix cube for fish? Something that the fish themselves can play with? Such as a closed jar with a crab inside for an octopus. I know of a ping pong ball for an oscar but is there something more simple fish could use? Ones that aren't as mentally evolved as oscars and such. A fish such as a hoplo catfish, sun catfish, or perhaps a fire mouth.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Is there anything that is the equivalent of the rubix cube for fish? Something that the fish themselves can play with? Such as a closed jar with a crab inside for an octopus. I know of a ping pong ball for an oscar but is there something more simple fish could use? Ones that aren't as mentally evolved as oscars and such. A fish such as a hoplo catfish, sun catfish, or perhaps a fire mouth.
Just having a diverse habitat helps, doesn't have to be pretty, adding new things like plants or new caves every once in a while can help too

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I may start switching our driftwood every month or so in my more bare tanks.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Agreed also bad for mammals,reptiles,birds etc.
It seems diverse habitats are needed for good mental health and stimulate immune systems,
Heck even proven in humans
Yes I agree to this in principle, and feel it's important for most fish to have at least a house or time away place. But that's all my Kamfa has in his tank besides a few pebbles and he's as happy/angry of a camper you'll ever see (incl. anyone's fish in their heavily decorated tank) -- just check out my recent Fish can Artists! post and then anyone please tell me he's not as content and mentally stimulated as any fish in their heavily decorated tank...

And yes they might not look the greatest (I made a mistake in getting a blue stickered bottom instead of black on my Kamfa's tank), but there are valid reasons why people have bare bottom tanks so personally think it's kind of uncool to incl. them in a thread titled 'Dumbest display tanks you've ever seen', but jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'm going to get some hollow balls and fill them with sand, just enough to suspend in the water.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
When I had my betta Bruce, I had him in a 120ltr tank that I rearranged every water change. I partly done it to make sure there was no food trapped under the wood, but mostly because in such a small tank there wasn't much for him to do so I figured rearranging it every so often would give him (and his tank mates) new things to explore, he seemed very happy in there until the end of his days. :)

I think a lot of people dismiss the idea that fish need mental stimulation because its easier to ignore than provide, even though it isn't actually that hard to provide for the most part. Just my two cents..

fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 , earlier in this thread you asked someone for proof backing up that fish need mental stimulation. Even if science hasn't proven either way, isn't it better to assume they do and potentially waste your time and effort providing it than to assume they don't and potentially risk causing fish to develop fishy depression (or the fish equivalent) by not providing? Idk, just something to think about.. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store