dying discus

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Things are definitely looking up!
Good for you. Keep up with those water changes. There is no other way. And give them a VARIED diet, including high quality flake, pellets, and frozen. Good luck!

Reactions: ken31cay

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
does anyone have experience with pimafix and melafix? they seem to have worked, but it could be the temp, salt, and new stress free environment. i keep hearing that melafix and pimafix are snake oil products that dont really do anything. i am confused about this.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Glad to see that they are doing better. They love clean water and take alot longer to adjust than any other fish. I always treat my tank for internal parasites when I add new discus as a precaution. I’ve learned the hard way but so far my discus have been doing Amazing. Once they adjust and happy they are going to swim and come up for food on the regular. I switched to 2 50% water changes weekly and that has drastically improved their attitude and health.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Day 4 of quarantine and things are going well, so I guess its time to screw it all up just to see if the pimafix is doing it, or everything else. I am stopping the pimafix today and just going with 5 gallons a day water changes with 1 tablespoon of salt in the bucket. Temp is still 86 and the fish are looking good. The fuzzy fin is almost cleared up, and the popeye is clearer as well. The big orange one still has white faded spots.

discus day 4.jpg

IMG-1847.jpg

IMG-1846.jpg

IMG-1845.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Day 4 of quarantine and things are going well, so I guess its time to screw it all up just to see if the pimafix is doing it, or everything else. I am stopping the pimafix today and just going with 5 gallons a day water changes with 1 tablespoon of salt in the bucket. Temp is still 86 and the fish are looking good. The fuzzy fin is almost cleared up, and the popeye is clearer as well. The big orange one still has white faded spots.

View attachment 1513911

View attachment 1513912

View attachment 1513913

View attachment 1513914
Whatever you do don't put them back in with the Giant Gourami.

Reactions: Onyx4476

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Whatever you do don't put them back in with the Giant Gourami.
I will never keep them in a stressful environment again. They will be in their own dedicated discus tank with all the water conditions they like. I am done trying to stock the big 450. I have a baby fly river turtle on the way, and that will be the last addition for a while.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store